Archinect
anchor

Career and long term planning

G4tor

Background: I've been working about 7 years post college primarily in residential. This past 1.5 years, i switched jobs and transitioned more into mixed use developments with the occasional SFD sprinkled here and there.

As you know, the AEC industry is picking up and there has been a surge of positions opening up. I've recently gotten word of a healthcare design firm who is eager to hire someone to join their team. My debate is wether to switch over.

On one hand, i believe switching over will give me more diverse experience and will serve me better in the long run because I will have more experience with more than just residential/mixed-use. On the other, I have only been at my current firm for 1.5 years (don't want to leave a bad mark) and for the most part, a lot of AEC firms' bread and butter consists of residential so this might just be what i'll be doing for the rest of my career.

At this point, I'm not particularly jump-over-the-wall passionate about residential or healthcare architecture, I'm just passionate about learning and being a more well rounded designer. Provided that the salary/ benefits/ location is comparable, would you make the switch in my position?

Thank you and well wishes.

Oct 9, 18 3:14 pm
Rusty!

Healthcare requires a lot more discipline that most other architectural sectors. If you are up for switching it up and having your butt kicked then this is a smart move. Residential is very much on opposite spectrum as much as you can get from healthcare (not in a bad way, just completely different). 

Oct 9, 18 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: