Archinect
anchor

Toronto / Montreal Job scene

robertsonp

Hi everyone, 

I'm from The Netherlands and I studied Architecture at the University of Technology Delft and one year ago I graduated from university. Currently I'm in Montreal and I'm trying to find a job here. I've done some research about the job scene etc. and what I came across is that speaking French (unfortunately I don't speak French) is sort of a must here in order to get a job. I was wondering, as a non French-speaking person, what my chances are to find a job here? I'm really eager to try it anyway or do you recommend me to try it in for example Toronto where English is the main language?

Hoping you can give me some advice, thanks in advance!

Paul Robertson

Oct 4, 18 5:04 pm
Bench

Ive always been told that speaking French is an unwritten requirement to work in Quebec. Most of the firms operating there are primarily working in french, and documents are required to be written/submitted in French, not to mention that French is a requirement to pass the OAQ exams.

I think you might have better luck in Toronto. The most well-known firms there are more international in nature and would be more interested in having an foreign hire.

Oct 4, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I’m a native French Canadian and it’s rare that I’ll break out the french languages west of Quebec City. Just can’t stand the low intellectual bar of West Quebec and I’ve always found Montreal to be very English friendly. But Bench is correct that most professional gigs require french.

With that said, plenty of job opps in Toronto and Ottawa at the moment but beware, not everyone wants to hire, and train, foreign folks unless they are committed to staying here.
Oct 4, 18 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To clarify, my West Quebec référence implies west of Montreal. Those that know the areas know what I mean. I’ll leave it at that.

Oct 4, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
jeffl

Toronto.

I have lived in Montreal as a non french speaker. An 82 year old woman gets harassed for not speaking French. https://www.mtlblog.com/news/8...

Oct 5, 18 10:18 am  · 
 · 
jeff685

I'm from Montreal, and worked with a few people whose first language is English.

You'll have best chances with the larger firms like Architecture49, Lemay, IBI, PRAA, etc..

You'll likely be assigned to projects that are mostly done in English (drawings, documentations, meetings, etc.) which Ive seen more than a few.

But as other suggested, Toronto should be your first choice, both language and $ wise.

Oct 10, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: