Archinect
anchor

Incorporating one-person firm

Markytect

Hello all,

I am launching a one-person firm (that would be me) and I would love some advice on which incorporation structure to go with.

• Does an LLC / PLLC make sense for one person?
  • If you're a sole proprietorship, can you insure yourself in a way that protects your personal assets, as does an LLC?

Thanks for ANY feedback.

Oct 2, 18 8:46 am
Wood Guy

The best advice is to talk to an attorney. I currently have an LLC for design and an S-Corp for construction; my attorney says that there is no difference in protection as long as all rules are followed. A sole proprietorship offers no legal or asset protection. But like I said, don't take my word for it, talk to an attorney. 

Oct 2, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Check with your home state architectural license board and perhaps other states you may have projects in .  Some states have restrictions about how firms can be structured.  There can also be restrictions on firm names.

Unless your work is 100% unbuilt theory you do for yourself, I can't think of any situation where an architecture sole proprietorship is advisable.

Oct 2, 18 9:55 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

NEVER ASK AN ARCHITECT FOR LEGAL/MONEY ADVISE...

Oct 2, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

or proofreading.

Oct 2, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE TO NOT TAKE YOUR ADVISE
(AND HAPPY CAPS LOCK DAY?)

Oct 4, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: