Archinect
anchor

Remote Architectural job?

I've been considering the possibilities of getting a job working remotely has an Architect. What do you think my prospects are? And is there anyone here already living that reality?

Sep 30, 18 3:24 am
Non Sequitur

This is so stupidly vague of a question.  For one, are you even licensed in your market and/or how do you anticipate navigating the legal requirements & education reqs of other places? 

Also, and likely more important point, why would any one hire someone remotely when it's so much easier to get local talent.  What sepcial jesus powers do you have that's so in-demand and rare that clients would take that chance?

Sep 30, 18 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Well,  I have a former employee ( not an architect, but a drafting technician )who works remotely for me on contract.  She has lived on the West Coast of Canada, Mexico,Portugal, Sweden, Greece and Peru over the last two years and I send her specific work and she gets it done to the code standard we require for approvals etc and invoices me on a monthly basis.  Works well for her nomadic lifestyle and I get work done to a standard that I expect and require.  She use to work for me for close to 8 years so we know each other well and knows all the office standards and continues to assist in the development of them.  She hates dealing with clients too so it works well. she has other clients as well and probably makes a decent low 6 figure salary.

Oct 1, 18 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
BenneyHarvey

Actually...could you elaborate on how you made that work? The distance drafter, I mean

Apr 2, 20 1:26 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Well first off I know their work and I know they know my expectations which is a good starting point. I had previous experience using remotely based designers etc many years back and it was a disaster. They went off on a completely different tangent and basically meant that I had to pay them and then redo the whole design.

Apr 2, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Key is having access to our server from where ever they are in the world and then staying in communication with me on a regular basis ( phone / email ) The project files stay on our server so I can access them a adjust as needed on a daily basis. I also don't let them design too much so it's mostly a design development and contract documentation exercise. That way the scope of work is set and there isn't too much "freestyling". We have worked this way on single family projects and mid size multi- family projects up to about 100,000 sf. I have also done this on a large multi family project with a firm who specializes in outsourcing and contract documentation. It worked well also and we had a good experience with it. For us it's a way to deliver to our normal client group in the same manner as would typically but without telling them you will have to wait 6 month's. I am a small office and have difficultly finding staff and don't feel I want to go through a boom and bust cycle just because 1 or 3 larger projects come a long. This way I can maintain my core staff ( 4 ) and then ramp up with 1 or 2 outsourced contracts as needed.

Apr 2, 20 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 
BenneyHarvey

This is excellent, thank you! I'd like to live this kind of lifestyle, but avoid those miscommunication problems

Apr 2, 20 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Tonga is pretty remote. Henderson Island even more so. 

Oct 1, 18 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Good to hear from you Miles! :)

Apr 2, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Working remotely in this case only works when you have something to offer that is not available close by.

Oct 2, 18 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have three part-time jobs all remote. It's great. People send me work. I do the work and send it back. Then I get paid. Being able to work whenever and wherever is great. You have to be independent and self-disciplined. I know other people who have tried it and they just ended up procrastinating all the time and not performing. 

Oct 2, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

I want to start my nomad architect work .but, I don't know how to start and how it works. any help pleas

Mar 31, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It requires independence, writing and communication skills, and attention to detail. Sorry.

Mar 31, 20 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I thought I'd be one of the ones whose procrastination killed me (ADHD anyone?), but I'm actually adapting reasonably well. It helps that, unlike an independent contractor, I have a boss who expects to be able to reach me by email or PM during regular working hours.

Mar 31, 20 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm going to have a hard time transitioning back to non-remote working. I love my house too much.

Mar 31, 20 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Lucky you. I just moved into a new home and I have to work from the office. I don't mind it as I'm the only one here so I don't need to wear pants.

Mar 31, 20 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: