Archinect
anchor

Is the aia salary calculator accurate? What do you use?

athensarch

Is the aia salary calculator remotely accurate in your part of the country? If not, what are you using to get an idea of what salary is market rate to try and negotiate?

I've considered moving back to traditional practice and found there's a $15-$25,000 difference in total compensation between what the survey says and what former classmates have told me they currently earn, with their salaries being much higher.

For what it's worth, I've checked the archinect salary website. Only 2 listings in about 200ish is within 10k of what I'm hearing.

Sep 19, 18 5:47 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

thisisnotmyname

We are currently in a period of high(er) salaries.  Trust your friends' numbers over anything on the internet.  Pay attention to the dates on Archinect salary postings.  Some are years old.   Many increases have been happening in the past year or so.   

Sep 20, 18 9:25 am  · 
 · 

last i saw, the aia calculator was off (too low). And the salaries of architects (tho higher that aia numbers) are still too low. ask for more! get paid yo! $$$ :b

(seriously tho)

Sep 20, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Mr Almost Architect

I get paid what the calculator says "i should", but then again, my boss is an AIA wizard, so my wage may be bias....

...:(

Sep 28, 18 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
LITS4FormZ

It depends what level you're trying to come back into. It's true that most salaries are higher(or should be). The sweet spot currently is for someone licensed with between 5-8 years of meaningful experience. That's what everyone wants, but thanks to the recession few survived unscathed to be at the point in their career now. I'm actually interested in how entry level salaries have been effected. 

I recently used a number of online resources to negotiate my salary/relocation. Archinect was actually the best resource out there(for my area), then glassdoor(for both salaries and job postings with salaries), linkedin premium(job posting) and the AIA poll was useless for California. However, there is no replacement for talking with friends with similar skillsets and using that as your true baseline and pulse for the area.  

Sep 28, 18 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I find Glassdoor useful to suss out ahead of time which firms pay woefully under market. Friends who you went to school with or have a similar level of experience to are the most accurate, especially if you’re in the same regional market. The AIA calculator should be used as a bare minimum point of negotiation. I’d add a healthy 10% to anything you’re seeing on AIA. Especially if the benefits aren’t so great. Always give a range when negotiating salary because the benefits are never spelled out in detail upfront and those add up quickly in terms of money on the table. ‘We offer health insurance’ could mean anything from they pay the full rate to your deductible is going to be $3000. Every firm ‘offers health insurance’. The devil is in the details.
Sep 28, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is there a link to the AIA survey results? I've posted what I make in another thread. 

Sep 28, 18 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

https://info.aia.org/salary/

Sep 30, 18 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

OP did you already compare AIA results to Archinect's Salary Poll http://salaries.archinect.com/ data?

Sep 30, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I have 7 years of experience; I'm making $95k in NYC.

Sep 30, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: