Archinect
anchor

Master while working: can it be ?

pietropec

Hello!

Are there any Masters that can be done ' part time' while working as Architect Designer full time ? 

I was wondering if any Architect got his Master this way and can share his experience:)

Sep 8, 18 1:41 pm

It is possible at some schools, but requires tremendous discipline on your part to balance the competing demands of work and education. It is rarely a "part time" endeavor, and is more often two "full time" efforts. When done well, it can lead to great learning opportunities that leverage both the academic and professional work in service of the other. When done poorly, students are short-changed and may receive a degree in name only or participate in work opportunities that pay the bills but do not help students to grow as architects.

You might want to look at schools that have an Integrated Path to Architectural Licensing (IPAL) program. Most of those programs are structured to integrate work and education, and may suit you.

At the University of Florida, we have an IPAL program that is administered primarily through our CityLab Orlando program. For information about our first IPAL graduates: https://www.ncarb.org/press/fi....

Best of luck to you in your studies.

Sep 9, 18 6:55 am  · 
 · 
pietropec

thank you very much BW

Sep 11, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's possible in the Netherlands

Sep 9, 18 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Working is certainly possible during school.  Working anything close to full time is going to be very difficult.  The "two-full time efforts" noted above a useful description.

I remember my boss at the time saying there'll be days in studio that you're worried about a deadline at the office, and vice-versa.  He was exactly right.  And I think I was doing only about half-time at the office.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Sep 9, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I did that. I was studying for my M.arch while working as an environmental designer for a video game company. It was only possible because there was a fair amount of cross-over. I used Maya both at work, modeling buildings for cities, and used Maya in studio. It always seemed the office deadlines occurred when there was school deadlines - IOW, Hell week. My professors wanted me to quit work, and my game studio wanted me to quit school - until in my 3rd year, we were going to move to a new office, and I was assigned to work with the architect on the TI design. That's how I paid them back for working part time(40hour weeks - we are expected to work 60hours min.) I did graduate, and went to work for Skidmore doing skyscrapers - it segued from my game experience.

My advice? don't do it unless you are working in a related field - what I did was to blend games and architecture similar to what was going on at the same time at TU Delft.

It is possible at some schools, but requires tremendous discipline on your part to balance the competing demands of work and education. It is rarely a "part time" endeavor, and is more often two "full time" efforts. When done well, it can lead to great learning opportunities that leverage both the academic and professional work in service of the other.

That it does

Sep 9, 18 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
pietropec

thats a good advise, thank you Xk

Sep 11, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Mr Almost Architect

I can be done, but as others have said, it requires a lot of discipline. I actually just finished my masters and was working two jobs while in school. One was part time (20-25 hrs a week) at my firm and the second as a grad assistant for the school. It was tough and I wouldn't recommend it, but yes, you can do it.

Sep 9, 18 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Many MBA programs are in the evening and tailored for students who work full time. I went to one such program. If the architectural educational establishment were serious about serving their graduate students, as opposed to serving themselves, they would emulate those MBA programs.

In my MBA program we almost always had one or two students who knew the coursework for a given class better than the professor. I can't imagine a classroom full of architecture firm employees putting up with the nonsense of 'architectonic' blather from some clueless professor for five minutes.  

Sep 11, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: