Archinect
anchor

Tensile membrane structure model

G.Palileo

So second year is here (yay?), and I've been tasked with analyzing Frei Otto's 1967 German Pavilion. Now I have to make my own forms and shapes with the same principles, and I was wondering what materials to use that could recreate such tensile membrane structures at a small scale? 

Thanks all :)

Sep 6, 18 11:23 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Pantyhose.

Sep 7, 18 12:08 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Do some research. There are plenty of photos and documents showing Otto in his studio doing tests with soap bubbles and armatures, string, nylon, etc

Sep 7, 18 1:57 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Go to an outdoor store and look at the hiking tents for ideas. They have been proven in very high wind, extreme conditions. The flexible poles can be made of carbon fibre or fiberglass. Some versions have the poles inside the tent so no 'cables' at all are required to achieve tension. You can make the structure redundant so the failure of one element will not cause collapse.

Sep 7, 18 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I did a tensile structure in undergrad and dark grey thread looks surprisingly elegant as small-scale steel cable.

Pantyhose was also a great suggestion.

Sep 8, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Cheese cloth, my first arch. job was to build a kick ass model which featured a tensile canopy.  I believe the model is still on display 10 years later

Sep 12, 18 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: