Archinect
anchor

Reading Material for beginners

E2468

Hi,

I am a certified B.Arch graduate and I teach first year in B.Arch. I wanted some suggestions for good books/ excerpts to read for my students. I wish to engage them in a regular short discussion after class to keep conversations on architecture or design running.

Aug 24, 18 2:53 am
AlinaF

Little Red Riding Hood.

Aug 26, 18 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

First year of what?

Aug 26, 18 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Elementary School

Aug 27, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
E2468

B. Arch - Bachelors of Architecture, I mentioned it.

Aug 27, 18 8:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Reading is not Alina's strongest asset.

Aug 27, 18 8:19 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

sorry that I meant was: what are you teaching? First year of structures, first year design studio, professional practice, design theory? Just saying first year doesn't mean a whole lot. I assume that this is outside of the US?​

Aug 27, 18 10:24 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

@ Non Sequitur, still surpasses your skill of spending all day on the internet, reading every single of the comments and taking them seriously.

Aug 27, 18 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Alina, I’m rather exeptionlly busy doing architect stuff. I don’t think the 15mins total I’m here really is “all day”.

Aug 27, 18 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
E2468

AlinaF: ? 

Aug 27, 18 8:01 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Just to have a benchmark, what's the stuff you had to read yourself for your B.Arch?

Aug 27, 18 8:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Was meant for E2468.

Aug 28, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

The first thing I remember reading in school was Vitruvius.  

Firmness, commodity, and delight.

Aug 27, 18 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

from what I can remember, the major titles were:

• Vitruvius
  • Invisible Cities (Calvino)
  • Toward an Architecture (Corb)
  • Modern Architecture (Frampton)
  • Learning from Las Vegas (Venturi)

Outside of that, Style and Epoch (Ginzburg), Team 10 Primer, and I'd add For Everyone a Garden (Safdie).

Aug 27, 18 10:57 am  · 
 · 
mtn_mn

Some that I like:

Poetics of Space (Bachelard)

In Praise of Shadows (Tanizaki)

The Eyes of the Skin (Pallasmaa)

The Architecture of the City (Rossi)

Complexity and Contradiction (Venturi)

A Pattern Language (Alexander)

Aug 27, 18 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

ooh A Pattern Language!

Aug 27, 18 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

rendevouz with rama, arthur c. clarke

Aug 27, 18 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

'how to win friends and influence people' by dale carnegie.

Aug 27, 18 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the peter principle, by laurence peter.

thus spoke zarathustra, nietzsche 

harry potter, JK Rowling

the prince, niccolo machiavelli

the wheel of time series, robert jordan (and brandon sanderson)

Aug 27, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

I recommend Notes on the Synthesis of Form by Christopher Alexander. An interesting design perspective which takes you beyond your run-of-the-mill routine into things like networks, logic, mathematics, systems, probably mostly associated with urban studies.

Aug 29, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Of all of Alexander's works, A Pattern Language gets all the attention in architecture, but I thought The Timeless Way of Building and Notes on the Synthesis of Form were better and encouraged more creative thought than A Pattern Language. Agree or disagree with Alexander's theory, it's a shame that more people haven't read some of his other works.

Aug 29, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Christopher Alexander is one of those atypical architects possessing an actual structured thinking, but then again, he is also a mathematician. His brilliance shows in how he influenced major fields well outside of architecture, like computer science or philosophy. I admire him the most for how he kept reminding us about the beauty of "living structures" (and, by extension, architecture), he said "the objects that are most profound functionally are the ones which also promote the greatest feeling in us.", a pretty compelling argument for architecture as a "useless" thing, beyond pure "functionality" and profit.

Aug 30, 18 9:50 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Here is a list from ARCHDaily

https://www.archdaily.com/9015...

Sep 13, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to add - Design of Cities by Edmund Bacon. This was required reading for an undergrad studio I had and I thought it was very straight-forwardly written and I liked the images.

Sep 13, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"The Old Way of Seeing" by Johnathan Hale
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Way...

Sep 13, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
jeffl

How Architecture Works: A Humanist's Toolkit by Witold Rybczynski

Sep 24, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: