Archinect
anchor

SOM (SF) vs. CO Architects (LA) vs. HNTB (LA)

danielc.h.lee

Hi forum,

I currently have an offer with SOM as a junior architectural professional, and am waiting on offers from CO and HNTB by the end of the week.

I was interested in how working professionals value these different companies. I'm curious as to how one considers them based on size of firms, career projection, work life balance, and culture.

Any feedback would greatly help out a recent B.Arch graduate in informing his decision on career prospects!

Thanks.

Aug 22, 18 5:57 pm
BR.TN

100% take SOM-SF

Aug 22, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I started out at SOM - SF, first architecture job out of school - 2007 and 2008.

a lot of big skyscraper projects - Great place, lots of skyscraper projects, in China, US and India - Long hours - 9 - 8pm, except friday "posting parties"  then we work until 12:30am

I advise to take Skidmore

Aug 22, 18 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Whats a "posting party"?

Aug 22, 18 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
10974ks---

like an in office pin up, I guess. I'm curious, why anyone would think mentioning long work hours is a plus. CO architects is the winner in my book.

Aug 22, 18 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Exactly. From reading your posts, Xenakis over the years, it seems that you haven't exactly got the "bang for the buck" from working at SOM. And the hours are long. So what's the advantage in working there?

Aug 22, 18 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

posting party? A submittal deadline 

A lot of last minute rush work, people who aren't that busy on other projects get called in for the "fun" picking up last minute redlines, coordination 

Aug 22, 18 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
spacefragments

At first, you value the office thru the quality of their delivery.  Then when you're at it, you will value the office thru the processes you're exposed to and the knowledge you acquire from your direct superiors/team members.  Its important that you would get a chance to converse with your potential direct superior prior to taking the job.

Aug 23, 18 1:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

They're really the kind of questions you ask during the interview process. What made you consider them in the first place?

Aug 23, 18 2:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: