Archinect
anchor

Slate on concrete decking

RKEECH

Hello all,

I am an intern at an architecture firm and have been working on a re-roofing job for the past couple of months. We have recently found out, from the interior, that one of the additions to the building has concrete decking. I am looking for details that show how slate can be attached to concrete. Any references or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I am new to this site so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Aug 20, 18 11:41 am

1 Featured Comment

All 5 Comments

Non Sequitur

Can you simply not just nail stone directly to concrete?  What can go wrong?

Have you asked the senior staff in your office?  They likely have standard references for you to consider.

Aug 20, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
RKEECH

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if that will work but I am looking into it. As for my seniors, they're the ones who gave me the task. It's a rather small firm with only about 5 other architects.

Aug 20, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

first few images in a google search for slate roofing tiles on conc slab showed reasonable starting points.

Aug 20, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Would not do that. Put a peel-and-stick self-healing waterproof membrane over concrete, place treated wood battens (2x2s)_ then nail the slate to battens. Min. roof slope should be 3 in 12.

Dec 27, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Aug 20, 18 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
senjohnblutarsky

You're installing slate, which is usually a steeply pitched roof.  But then there is a section of the building with a concrete deck, which is usually not a steeply pitched thing.  So, you're either telling us that someone built a steep slope concrete deck, or that you're trying to put slate shingles on a roof of insufficient slope. 

I'm going to roll with the idea that you have a low slope concrete deck.  If the Owner wants slate at this location, you could overbuild with trusses and then do the slate.  And if this is what's happening, one of your coworkers has sent you on a wild goose chase.  Can I interest you in going on a snipe hunt? 

Aug 20, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just love the idea of a high pitched roof built up of concrete. It's like those lazy 1st year student projects all over again.

Aug 20, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Mercer museum in PA, the first poured in place concrete building in the US, has what looks like a 12/12 pitch slab roof.

Aug 20, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

At what slope to slate shingles become slate pavers?

Aug 20, 18 2:49 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

When you are able to walk on them (which you shouldn't do) without falling off.

Dec 27, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Slate pavers or ballast over a composite deck + roof membrane, etc isn't all that uncommon...

OP, what is the slope of the roof you are trying to put slate on?

Aug 20, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

OP just said roof. Not pavers. If we're talking pavers, then we have a whole new can of worms to deal with, because the person isn't asking about an actual membrane at all.

Aug 20, 18 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
spacefragments

Ask your lead Architect, not this forum.

Aug 21, 18 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: