Archinect
anchor

Do past evolo skyscraper competition winners ever get a real project after they won?

appleoranges

Just wanted to know if it is worth trying to win it. Even if you win, I don't think it gives a potential for getting projects from real world clients? Please keep in mind that I don't want to discuss about this competition on the ground of "generating idea." 

Aug 18, 18 4:16 pm
Anon_grad2.0

it's not that type of competition...

If you only want to enter the competition because it could lead to potential client ( it won't), then you've already missed the point of it. 

As much as you don't want to discuss it, it is an ideas competition, nothing else. Some gal pals and I entered it and were shortlisted, eventually our project was published. That's it, nothing else will come of it. 

Some people will argue about the merits of pay to play type competitions, but at the end of the day, you always have a choice about competing or not

Aug 18, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

You might get more traction with competitions that deal with pressing urban issues of our time e.g. housing, resilience. Such proposals, if rendered with imagination and integrity, could draw the attention of the mainstream press.

Aug 18, 18 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

First have to win it before you start worrying about follow-up projects and commissions ;)

Aug 19, 18 2:52 am  · 
 · 
appleoranges

Thank you All for your inputs. So far no comments from first prize winners yet, which I intended to hear when posting this thread.

Aug 26, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
10974ks---

I won the competition

Aug 26, 18 11:12 am  · 
 · 
10974ks---

I have more clients than I know what to do with now.

Aug 26, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Another winner here. Sorry we all get together just once a week to read archinect together in the hopes of someone posing a que
stion directly to us.

Aug 26, 18 11:25 am  · 
1  · 
AlinaF

7/10.

Aug 26, 18 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
appleoranges

In fact, I am a past winner of the competition. Hence the question. Surprisingly any of my clients never knew about my winning until I told them. Even then, I still have to tell them what the competition is about. I guess this is the end of my foraging for an answer about the competition. 

Aug 26, 18 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
10974ks---

Why didn’t you say so. We would have invited you to the group meetings

Aug 26, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Why would you expect clients to have heard of the competition or know what it's about? It's run by a journal that is geared toward architects, students, and academics. I have a box full of architecture awards, and have yet to hear mention from a client about of any of them, ever. It's like if your dentist expected you to know when he wins an award from the Journal of Dentistry. The client is never the target audience of industry-focused awards.

Aug 26, 18 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I wouldn't trust a client that contacts you because of this particular competition, they would have unrealistic expectations and want you to build floating buildings exactly like the fancy renderings and diagrams :-)

Aug 27, 18 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: