Archinect
anchor

Old & inactive NCARB IDP still good?

ranout

Hi, I have a question that I can find from searching the forums. I completed my NCARB IDP in 2007 and had my IDP completion transmitted to Cali's board. But I've totally lapsed all this time: no NCARB dues, no ARE taken, no CAB activity, nothing. Like I've been in the 5th dimension for the last 11 years.

Can I now reactivate this old 11-yr-old  IDP completion and take ARE exams and get my license (not necessarily in CA)?

Aug 17, 18 10:29 am
Anon_grad2.0

I think it expires after 5 years

Aug 17, 18 10:43 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Yes, the OP may get caught by NCARB's "Rolling Clock" because they didn't attempt the exam within 5 years of becoming eligible to do so.

Aug 17, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

NCARB will want money (maybe lots of it) to send your record to another state board.   I suspect they will want  at least 11 years of dues plus the $400.00 "council record transmission fee". Getting your license in CA first may be the path of least resistance.  With your CA license in hand, getting a reciprocal license would be pretty easy in most other states.

Aug 17, 18 10:44 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Most other states require transmittal of an NCARB record for reciprocity - and the NCARB fees will actually be higher then because the person is already licensed (the cap on back dues is lower for an unlicensed person, and also NCARB will no longer transmit records for licensed people who are certificate-eligible unless they get their NCARB certification). There are only a few states that will grant reciprocity based on endorsement of another state's license, without receiving the test scores and IDP/AXP record directly from NCARB.

Aug 17, 18 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

what took you so long? Lol

Aug 17, 18 11:19 am  · 
 · 
ranout

Sorry all, I should clarify. I never took any ARE exams, tho I transmitted my NCARB IDP Completion to Cali's CAB. So, my questions are: (a) will my 11-yr-old IDP Completion Certificate still be valid for State Boards if they receive it today, and (b) will NCARB transmit my 11-yr-old record today (yes, for a hefty re-activation penalty)?

Also, as for Cali, isn't my 11-yr-old IDP Certificate too old?

Btw, in answer to what took me so long, I quit the biz back when and moved across one of the ponds. Kept busy somewhat with foreign firms....

Aug 24, 18 4:41 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

and now you just want to “walz” back into the profession? Lol you mist think very little of architects...

Aug 24, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

That's rude. If you think working for overseas architects is irrelevant experience, then US firms have no business designing anything outside of the county.

Aug 24, 18 8:56 am  · 
 · 
ranout

​I see, BulgarBlogger, ​I didn't that know that you were a Class A TrollMaster. I apologize in advance if I ignore your future posts. If I do ever respond, it would only be due to forgetting that it was in fact your Trollness. To those who are real, I do appreciate any insight or similar experience you may have had with old IDP records.

Aug 24, 18 9:06 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Didn’t you say you quit the biz? I understood you quit the business and then worked abroad in a different field. My point was that you can’t simply walz back into a profession thinking that you can just take a few exams, record a few hours, and with good consciounce expect to call yourself an experienced architect... dedication and commitment to a proffession is looked at pase these days- but it has never stopped being important.

Aug 24, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"thinking that you can just take a few exams, record a few hours," Exams have a 50% pass rate and are super difficult to pass. Hours requirement is pretty extensive. Anyone who has successfully completed their registration is fully deserving of working in this profession. Let the kid go thought the process at least. Gah.

Aug 24, 18 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

NCARB will transmit it, if you pay their transmittal fee and any applicable back dues and reactivation fee.

Whether the states will accept it depend on individual states' experience requirements.  When the IDP/AXP categories all changed a few years ago some states made rule changes along with that.  You should be ok as far as NCARB is concerned because you were found to be done with IDP before that change, but in some states you might be determined to need to submit more experience.  The thing to do is talk to the state board's administrative staff directly, wherever you're planning to seek a license.

Aug 24, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
ranout

I did notice that it's now AXP. Thank u, I'll check with the Board.

Aug 24, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: