Archinect
anchor

internship stipend in south korea

santiag

Hi, has anyone here done an internship in South Korea? Is the monthly stipend of $500 livable in Seoul? I know it’s for sure underpaid. Just wonder if it meets the minimum wage. Thank you!

Aug 14, 18 1:56 pm
Non Sequitur

Hurrah for slavery!

Aug 14, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

now it's really a choice

Aug 14, 18 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

true freedom is having the choice to be a slave.

Aug 14, 18 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

No, working at a convenience store will pay you about $1200. $500 will be a month's rent for a bedroom in a shared apartment in low-rise residential neighborhoods in Seoul. Minimum wage is about $7/hr in Seoul right now. Grocery costs about twice as much compared to the US. Unless you have some other source of funding, you can't live in Seoul with $500 a month.

Aug 15, 18 4:12 am  · 
 · 
santiag

Much appreciated.

Aug 15, 18 5:35 am  · 
 · 
santiag

Much appreciated.

Aug 15, 18 5:35 am  · 
 · 
santiag

That’s what I guess. Seoul is probably not much cheaper than Tokyo. It seems like Asian firms apply the same system of exploitating young interns.

Aug 15, 18 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Arkeciel

Architecture is dead in South Korea unless the country reunites with the Northern neighbour. Last time I heard, they were making more money from renovating existing buildings rather than working on new projects due to shortage of land. Not only that the country enslaves the middle class so much that the president had to pass a law that prevented people from working more than 52 hours a week. 

Aug 15, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: