Archinect
anchor

Should an Urban Designer Pursue Licensure

I have a question about licensure. I got my 4 year B.Arch and have always wanted to run my own design-build firm that focuses on downtown redevelopment. I got a one-year Master of Urban Design degree, which was awesome, but I am not set up for licensure in anything. Should I go back to school for another M. Arch program and be in school for literally 7 years just to gain licensure, or is there a better approach to being able to run my own design-build urban design firm?

I really would like to be licensed, but I am just not sure it is worth the time and investment, but I hate being in school for so long and not having any sort of title at the same time.

Thoughts?

Aug 2, 18 10:07 am
Wilma Buttfit

Some states allow you to get licensed with the 4-year. Or how about getting a contractor's license? 

Aug 2, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

As tintt stated, some states allow you to get licensed with a 4 year degree.  I would also check the state's regulations; some states require you to be licensed if you are the majority owner of a business that provides architectural services.

Aug 2, 18 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

I thought the point of becoming an Urban Designer these days is to avoid licensing and tough exams?

Aug 3, 18 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

LMAO.

Aug 3, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

I concur with AlinaF. 

Licensing requirements are typically necessary for real professions (architects, doctors, lawyers, etc.) capable of incurring lawsuits as a result of gross negligence. Those "tough exams" are to separate the men from the boys. 

For the life of me, I can't fathom what negligence occurs from urban designing when everything is spelled out in city zoning resolutions.

Aug 3, 18 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Why not get an AICP instead and partner with someone who is an RA?

Aug 3, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I am genuinely curious as to how a firm would engage in design-build urban design? It seems like there would be very few clients working at such a scale unless you are also the developer doing something like New Urbanist developments. 

Aug 4, 18 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

That's the thing, new urbanism could be great. I am down for doing townhomes, facade renovations, and other practical methods to create charming urban areas

Jan 3, 19 12:50 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
"Real professions" - starrchitect, do you mean the way most architects do toilet details and glazing details all day? Lol - real profession?

I am an Urban Designer, and all day long I tell architects with "real professions" what to do. But I suggest getting an AICP license.
Aug 4, 18 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If you worry about titles just call yourself an urbanist. https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Aug 5, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: