Archinect
anchor

EU Bachelors degree = jobless until your Masters?

delfina

Wondering how strict most European firms are about Junior position candidates having a masters degree?

It's frustrating that most firms say that they cannot hire interns unless they are currently enrolled in school "no graduates", meanwhile they cannot hire junior architects unless they have a masters degree. What do you do if you have a bachelor of science in Arch and are not planning on starting your masters until Sep 2019?

Jul 29, 18 9:23 pm
randomised

What do you mean that "firms say they cannot hire..." have you contacted them? Just apply for the job/internship you want and think suits your level and clarify your situation during the interview (if it ever comes up). You might not get an internship after having obtained your masters but with only a BSc, no problem. You can 3D model, render, do physical models etc, might even know how to make a technical drawing if you went to a decent school. I've worked for 2/2.5 years after my BSc, started as an intern too before going back for my MSc. Don't give up hope!

Jul 30, 18 4:33 am  · 
 · 
delfina

By "say they cannot hire" I mean it is clearly stated on their website that "interns must be enrolled students, no graduates". It's good to know that you had a similar experience though, thanks your insight!

Jul 30, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
delfina

Randomised, would you say it is better to apply for an internship with my degree? Or is it plausible to also be applying for an entry level position? 

Jul 30, 18 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

If the post says that "you must be enrolled in school, no graduates" it's a summer internship meant for students on summer break. You need to look for an entry level position/"junior architect"/Intern/Designer/Architectural Associate position etc.. that is willing to hire you as a regular, full-time employee. You may not find that at any of the large firms that hire summer students specifically. You should be looking to small to medium sized firms that hire entry-level design staff for the long-term.

Jul 30, 18 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I would advise to apply to positions you think match your level, that can be an internship or a entry level/junior position, it depends on your skills/portfolio but also the firm you're applying to. If you need to survive only on your salary don't apply for internships unless you have an Erasmus scholarship or something. Most firms however will advertise entry level positions for BSc graduate level as internships for MSc students because that is cheaper for them.

Jul 31, 18 6:21 am  · 
 · 
mszczere
Depending on where in Europe you are applying, but with a bachelors degree you should be applying for internship positions. Many offices also only take interns that get Erasmus internship funding as it is not the norm in most eu countries to pay interns a liveable wage.
Jul 30, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: