Archinect
anchor

Co-op Abroad

Hi there!

I am studying interior design in University of Cincinnati's DAAP program, and am considering going to grad school for architecture later on. Having interest in both, I'm pretty open to any firm that would take me on. I have four co-ops left, and the last one I do will be 8 months long. I desperately want to go abroad for this (preferably in Copenhagen), and am trying to get as much information now as I possibly can to plan ahead. I feel like my best option would be to find a firm in the U.S. with a branch in Europe, so that I can establish a connection with them here first. I really haven't been able to find anyone who has had this experience or one similar to it, so I'm just looking for any helpful advice I can get. If you know of any very creative, collaborative design firms I can research for my other co-ops or this one, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Emily

Jul 23, 18 1:51 pm
thatsthat

I thought UC kept a list of firms that normally offered co-ops to students.  Is that incorrect?  You're saying that none of the firms on this list are in Copenhagen/where you want to go?  Just trying to get a handle on the situation.

Jul 23, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

We do have a list, but there aren't very many firms listed in other countries. That's definitely what I'll be looking into further first, but I'd like to go off the list and find something I'm a little more interested in. Even if I do find something through UC, I want some insight as to what I can expect working in a city like that and how I can prepare in co-ops prior to that one.

Jul 23, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I completed my last two co-ops abroad in Beijing. For the first one, I got an introduction from a former DAAP professor with an international firm and for the second I ran into another former DAAP professor who happened to be working in Beijing at the same time(small world).  

It's been a few years since I graduated but if DAAP still offers the DIS study abroad opportunity then they should have connections with firms in Copenhagen. Whoever runs that study abroad would be the person to start to work back from. 

During my time at UC a number of my classmates co-oped abroad. It was a mixed bag of connections and cold calling/emailing. The work sponsor requirements vary greatly by country. Since you have four co-ops to go you may be able to work in the US office of an international firm(wow them in your initial internship) and then express interest in going abroad on a future co-op, this is more common than you think and a much easier sell.  

Jul 23, 18 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: