Archinect
anchor

What kind of job position for someone without architecture degree...

choijw2

Almost 29.... thinking about looking for new career path and I would like to ask for advice. 

First of all, I am not looking for architect position without any background or training, I am wondering if there is position that I could possibly do it with my background. 

So my education background is urban planning. 
I was planning to go back to school to obtain architecture degree.... but I had job offer... told myself I will still go back to school, but never happened.

Anyways, I am working as commercial construction estimator for pretty good size roofing and siding company, 5 years and counting. (flat roof, single, metal roof, vinyl siding, fiber cement, metal siding, ACM, etc)

Anyways, estimating and pre-construction process is pretty fun, but work/ life balance is pretty horrible with same thing over and over kind of work. 

So I been looking around for new position possibly something I could do without going back to school or training (well if I find something that I will enjoy for the rest of my life thats an option), and seeing all these positions that I never heard of before.....BIM Technology Analyst, R&D position, etc  and wondered if there are more positions like these that I never knew about... something I can possibly do.... and that is why Im here..

Sorry if I rambled a lot.... a lot of thought in my head and its hard to organize them right now D: 

Jul 20, 18 3:38 pm
Anon_grad2.0

is there not a planning/development department where you are?

Jul 20, 18 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

No, where I am its basically pre-construction and production department.

Jul 22, 18 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"but work/ life balance is pretty horrible with same thing over and over kind of work."

At least you are outside a lot, it would seem, and not chained to a computer. You also probably work pretty independently without someone breathing over your shoulder micro-managing everything you do.

Jul 21, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

Sadly as estimator, 95% times Im glue to computer, reading blueprints all day haha

Jul 22, 18 9:22 am  · 
 · 
MACV68

What is your formal training .... certificates, degrees, military?  What part of the world?

Jul 21, 18 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
heeroyui

You'll be surprise, a lot of people working in these firms don't have an architecture degree. You know just as much as new graduates. Join a firm that has both an architecture and estimator department. Go for the estimator job, after a year ask to join the architecture department as a cad drafter, there's your first architecture job, after that, you can do whatever.

Jul 21, 18 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

interesting, never knew arch. firm having estimator department. I will look into that thanks. 

Jul 22, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: