Archinect
anchor

What points to include when writing my own letter of recommendation?

delfina

I am writing my own letter of recommendation after having completed an internship and am not quite sure how to go about this in a modest manner. Any tips for how to structure/ what to write about myself?

Anything helps!

Thanks!

Jul 13, 18 11:59 am
Bench

Write it in stellar fashion, then let your boss edit it down after the fact. Seriously.

Jul 13, 18 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve always assumed those who ask students to write their own letters never read them anyways.

Jul 13, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I had a funny one where a boss asked me to write my own, which I did. Made it absolutely glowing, way over the top. When he went to sign it he gave it a quick scan over, then kindly asked me to make a slew of edits and 'tone it down'.

Worth a shot.

Jul 13, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Sign it Bjarke Ingels. 

Jul 13, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

The general rule I am familiar with is that you want your LOR to speak to the same points the rest of your application does.  So if  you plan on a future cover letter talking about how hard of a worker you are, that you are eager to learn, or that you have an expansive knowledge base, the LOR should ideally speak to those qualities as well.

Jul 13, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Tailor it not only towards what you actually did at work but also what you'll be using it for, the kind of job or further education you want to pursue...I wrote two of my LoR's partly by myself and they've come very handy in the past, and I made sure all the essentials were in it obviously...

Jul 13, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: