Archinect
anchor

want to progress to management of architectural projects, no interest in designing & drafting

Deepti_spa

Hi Everyone!!

Just wondering if someone can step in my shoes and give me some advice based on their experiences..

So,my case goes like this - I graduated in Architecture in 2007 from one of the very famous schools of architecture from INDIA. Throughout my course, I was above average, if not the best..after graduation, I joined & later switched some good arch firms, worked hard, was always among the best & dedicated employees...BUT...I was never that good at designing and I could only enjoy drafting for 2-3 years in my initial job years. Ever since, I always enjoyed the after phase of designing. I mean once the concept has been designed by the consultant architect, I enjoyed taking the design forward to the construction phase, co-ordinating various services and structures into architectural drawings (of course there are services & structural engineers to design those, but I enjoyed integrating all that on one platform, analysing it, deriving further requirements from it, instructing designers for necessary revisions to accommodate all  services smoothly...basically, the work which drives the actual planning & execution of the design at site)...I also enjoyed to be the link between the designers & the builders, administrate & document the project, exchange project info between different departments like marketing/purchase/ liaisoning etc. I believe, I was doing some very meaningful and high pressure job which directly affected the builders' businesses. BUT...when someone expected me to design..I use to loose confidence in my other capabilities completely because architects are expected to be good designers which I am not. All this was back in INDIA.

I then came to Swindon, UK with my husband in 2014, and have been staying on & off here on yearly basis since then..with the little knowledge that I had about career options here in UK, I could only try for CAD Technician roles, but so far haven't been successful till 2018 (I had a 1 1/2 year maternity break in between)...and here I am totally lost, a bit depressed, loosing my confidence every day, dont know where to move, what to look forward to...All I know is that I have proved my capability back in INDIA, and if I get hired, it will only take me a little extra time to be at par with my teammates, that too, because of the country difference. I definitely believe that I deserve much more than a drafting job (even getting that seems impossible to me right now & even if I get it, I am not very much keen on doing that except that It will support me financially)...time and situations do not allow me to do my masters plus I feel It will be a bad decision if I consider the finances...I definitely want to manage projects related to my field, but I do not want to be roaming around on construction sites all 8 hours of the day.

All I can think of is a PMP...BUT, I am not sure, If it can help me land a management job here in UK withno UK work experience or even after doing PMP, I will stand on the same ground as before, with only Indian projects' experience in hand..with no employer showing confidence in hiring me even for an entry level project manager role ...Then, should I change field completely to get onto a universal project management platform so that I do not face this challenge time & again in any country we go to....can somebody please tell me what are my options, I know I have to work hard all over again...but I need the right direction that yields results..I cant hit & try, I cant waste more time on assumptions....please help!!!

Jul 10, 18 10:51 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: