Archinect
anchor

Chaotic and demanding studios

zonker

Do you work in a studio, where there is constant chaos, increasing demands

Jul 2, 18 11:57 am

I need some example of the Chaos, you are talking about? 

Jul 2, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeah, it's called planet earth.

Jul 2, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I used to.  The chaos came from a) detached, uninvolved firm principals b) a man-child Director of Design who could veto and change anything at any time, c) no project managers minding the store with regards to the project schedule and fee.

Jul 2, 18 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This gave me a vision of business cards with title of Man-Child. Can sell them at those stores that sell gum that tastes bad as a prank.

Jul 2, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

T-shirts that say Man-Child? I want a T-shirt that says Detached and Uninvolved.

Jul 2, 18 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Even the best-managed architectural business can get chaotic when the all too common incompetence on the part of the owner and or builder crops up.  

Jul 2, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I used to.  Spent a year trying to make things better before realizing that it was something I would not be able to change - it was like that before me and would be that way after me - and jumped ship.  Basically the issues were that the principal had too much on her plate, but still continued to get new jobs, we had no PM to oversee everyone else who had between 0-2 years experience.  No one was redlining or reviewing anything that was issued or stamped.

The studio I'm in now is much better - they acknowledge when they're asking you to work overtime and try to compensate with a bonus or an extra day or two of PTO after deadlines.

Jul 2, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

the opening sentence reads like the intro to some 90s infomercial:

Do you work in a studio, where there is constant chaos, increasing demands? Try this:

Jul 2, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Some examples of Chaos (mismanagement and annoying things) that I have experienced or witnessed before:

1 No working phone at peoples desk because the power went off an it takes 2-6 weeks to get the old out of date phones reset

2. The office computer system crashing because the server room caught on fire.

3. The branch office being off line both phones, and servers because the firm uses virtual machines but did not have enough bandwidth or a backup connection to the home office. (same office with the burning server room)

4 A firm switching to Revit on a major project without having Revit standards in place.

5 An office where the HVAC does not work, the office is 50 degrees in the winter and 80-95 degrees in the summer.

6. The firm you work for becomes insolvent or has a severe cash flow problem and can't issue your paychecks on time.

7. an office pet that is trying to kill you.

There are other example of chaos which I take as a spectrum from mild discomfort or annoyance to nerve wracking stress inducing untenable situations, but "I just can't right now"

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jul 2, 18 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: