Archinect
anchor

best firm in Los Angeles to work for ready set go

ALDAVIS

first, if someone made this thread and it is still relevant please post the link.

My question for all of you people of the web is that in your opinion: what is the best possible firm to work for in Los Angeles and why? The context: 1 year of experience at a "high ranked" corporate firm working on multiple high school projects, worked purely in revit but also technically savvy with rhino/GH, and a degree from a "high ranked" school 

I am doing my research this is one part of the scientific method. of course all news is fake so I can not trust magazines or rankings and I come straight to you the people. Also hearing horror stories from friends, colleagues, strangers that working for the great famous firms sometimes is not that great.. So maybe people have some experience they would like to share about this topic ? Maybe if it's not a specific firm its a type of architecture [type to practice or stay away from] ? for example I have worked purely on educational projects how does that figure into this?  I am dedicated to becoming a part of the Future of Los Angeles especially since the world cups coming ah ha 

Jun 18, 18 10:16 pm
OneLostArchitect

Laney LA

Jun 20, 18 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

If a firm is designing multiple high school projects, then it’s most likely they have repeating business with schools and colleges. There’s a certain level of experience that a company needs to have in order to design school funded projects. If the project is in California, then it’s likely they have to meet DSA (division of the state architect) requirements that might go against the architect’s design since safety governs over design. Which means the firm can have the best rhino and grasshopper scripters west of the Mississippi but schools won’t care much about it. School funded projects have a high level of standards that the best firms might not want to touch but another less known firm will. But that’s not to say that those firms don’t tackle projects that involve scripting but there are other firms that go above and beyond computational reasoning and it shows in their projects (not necessary high school projects). 

Jun 21, 18 1:18 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

High schools can be nice for young people to work on because you get exposed to the design and detailing of a lot of different spaces like the gym, the theater, locker rooms, library, kitchen/cafeteria, etc. School firms may or may not be adventurous design wise, but they usually have their technical and management sh*t together.

Jun 21, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: