Archinect
anchor

Career advice ....

I'm a middle-aged artist and I'm thinking about a major career change. I've always been interested in astronomy and once had a telescope. Also I've read thousands of science fiction novels and seen just about every scifi movie ever made. Not only that but I am very artistic, skilled with color, and detail-oriented. I really want to be an astronaut and think my qualifcations are perfectly suited for that. How would I go about preparing to be an astronaut? What school has the best astronaut program? Will I be able to work part-time while attending (I still have to make a living)? Are there student loans and grants available? Can I work at NASA and learn while I earn?

Thank you.

Jun 13, 18 5:29 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 17 Comments

geezertect

Defecating and urinating on yourself while lying in bed would be excellent preparation for wearing a space suit in a zero gravity environment.

Jun 13, 18 6:16 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

you could try astrologer.  that's pretty much the same thing.

Jun 13, 18 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Madame Miles.

Jun 13, 18 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just read my horoscope. Dead on.

Jun 13, 18 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Try tarot. It works.

Jun 13, 18 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i ching too

Jun 13, 18 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Write sci-fi graphic novels.

Jun 13, 18 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
You forgot to ask if there were any shorter, alternative routes to becoming an astronaut, because you also heard it takes a long time but you feel like you don’t really need to go through all of that, just the important bits.
Jun 13, 18 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't forget to tell us all how much we suck.

Jun 13, 18 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

There's something I'm eternally thankful for, that the east coast is far far away.

Jun 14, 18 8:47 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Hey don't do that. That 'toxic' guy got banned.

Jun 14, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

oh AlinaF. bless your heart. toxic is what we do here.

Jun 14, 18 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Non Sequitur

Miles, that sounds like a lot of effort just for a few pieces of nasa paper.  Perhaps you should focus all your energy for the next decade in locating jurisdictions with lesser, or non existant astronaut requirements and claim membership.

Jun 13, 18 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if he knows the canada astronaut requirements well enough, i'm sure he could become an astronaut in sweden

Jun 13, 18 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

does Miles sport a moustache and have a fondness for playing some Bowie in a zero gravity environment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

Jun 13, 18 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

rick, miles isn't going to be an astronaut.

Jun 13, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i love bowie though. great link non. makes me want to join nasa as a summer intern so they'll send me to the international space station for a couple weeks.

Jun 13, 18 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The comity application in Minnesota, a fucking nightmare.

Jun 13, 18 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I win feature comment!

Jun 14, 18 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

7/10. It should be "advise" in the title and written in very poor English.

Jun 14, 18 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why should it be written in poor English? Advice is correct in murica.

Jun 14, 18 8:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

5/7

Jun 14, 18 9:14 am  · 
 · 

I’d consider enrolling in a Mars Habitat experiment. Even in qualifying for on of those experiments in Hawaii, would give you a better sense of the process for actual space travel.

Now, image an entire habitat made up of just architects... it’s like the setting for a modernized Murder on the Orient Express.

Jun 14, 18 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Or not...

Jun 14, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

just do it 

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

Jun 14, 18 10:12 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

What's a career anyway? Like a race?

Jun 14, 18 10:13 am  · 
 · 
zonker

the best way to prepare for any "mid-life" career change is physical fitness - refer to USMC boot camp PT procedures - you need to toughen yourself up first: joining the Corp. may not be viable - but you can go to boot camp

I worked in one office, and the two principals were in Boot camp - 

https://bootcampsf.com/ we have several here in San Francisco - there may be one in the town where you live -  worth it - SF is tough,because they make you run up steep hills and do pushups at each street intersection - its actually tougher than than Marines in that respect

Jun 14, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

All you really need to explore the stars is some alone time and a sheet of LSD...

Jun 14, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Praise the all mighty invisible green archinect floating head for zapping my most recent doppelgänger.
Jun 14, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nope, the wanker is back.

Jun 14, 18 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

My God, it's full of stars!

Jun 14, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Bingo!

Jun 14, 18 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
What a fantastic post. Once again thanks for laugh Miles
Jun 14, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

so is someone trying to make miles not like NS?  that's just weird.

Jun 14, 18 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles thinks it’s that Aussie wanker Trek.

Jun 15, 18 6:38 am  · 
 · 

Isn't that the moron who designed a shed addition out of 2x3's with posts every meter and couldn't figure out why the engineer said it wouldn't work?

Jun 15, 18 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The same shed with the awkward skylight framing, yes.

Jun 15, 18 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
Miles, I hear there is good money in being a fluffer.
Jun 15, 18 12:14 am  · 
 · 

I'd rather get fluffed.

Jun 15, 18 8:34 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

+++

Jun 15, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Menona

I'm an Astronautical Designer. 

Dec 23, 19 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: