Archinect
anchor

Cover & Resume Critique

RobArmstrong

I'm hoping for  insight into whether I am using the proper wording for the architecture & construction industries and if the document will make a great first impression. 

Jun 8, 18 12:54 am
poop876

Rajkd2? What the hell is that? Are you a licensed architect? And I agree, the dot thing is annoying. 

Jun 8, 18 8:10 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I think he is just trying to not put his real name. I'm assuming he would change that for the actual items he submits.

Jun 8, 18 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Kill that skills graph with fire... and get rid of the picture too.

Jun 8, 18 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Could you describe the difference between 3 and 4 dots when it comes to 'stewardship'?

I have no idea what smug mug is but the link doesn't work.

Jun 8, 18 8:44 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I would spend less time telling them why you want to work there and go more in depth as to what you've been doing at your current job.  I find it hard to believe after 3 years work experience, you know how to manage a team or a project budget without supervision.  Like what projects you've been a part of, the budget (if that's relevant) and what your role was.

Question for other commenters: do you or have you seen others that have added a short list of notable projects you've worked on (with role, budget, description, etc.,) at the end of their resumes?  (I'm talking really only the stuff that is really well-known/been widely published, not everything you've ever touched.)  I've seen this once or twice but wondering what the general consensus is about it.

Jun 8, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Way too dense, hurts my eyes to read it. Add some air...and the bold typeface is just too narrow to read comfortably. Also skip those skills circles, you either are proficient in something or you are not. Maybe list the programs you used at the images/drawings in the folio so the link is made directly. I would personally also skip the photograph. Sorry didn't read your cover letter.

Jun 8, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

There's no differentiation between the items on your resume.  You need some categories.  It runs right from college, into jobs, into what appear to be student research projects, and then awards and such.  Use some headers - i.e. "Education", "Employment", "Awards", etc.  so that people know where to find the info they're looking for.

Also make sure you've got a title/role for each position and that it's clear.  For example, when I got to the University of Chicago summer program, I thought you were a student in it, until I read it three times.  You need to put "Instructor" first, immediately after the name of the program.

I know that it's customary to put photos on resumes in some countries, but it is frowned upon in the US. 

The icons for mail, etc. are just visual clutter, and make it seem as if you're trying to fill white space - nix them.

I agree with others about the skills graph - that's something that seems to have become trendy on entry-level resumes but it's highly annoying - either you've got the skills or you don't.  If you'd rank yourself high on the graph then just list that skill, and if you'd rank yourself low then leave it off.  And stick with just the software in your skills list!  Things like "Active Listening" are basic competencies you're assumed to have - listing them as skills is ridiculous and just looks like you're desperately adding fluff. 

Double check the spelling of your references' names.  "Bradly" would be a strange spelling - just make sure you're right, particularly since he's a reference from within the company to which you're applying!

The cover letter is repetitive and about 2 paragraphs too long.  Just say which position you're applying for and 2 sentences about why you're a good fit for it. 

Jun 8, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: