Archinect
anchor

Own firm?

shellarchitect

Just curious, at what point have illustrious archinectors decided to go on their own?

If I take the weed jobs mentioned earlier and a couple others that I've brought to my current firm I'd easily match my current salary and likely beat it.  I'm working towards partner, but not sure how much patience I have.  

Also not totally confident in my abilities without a grey hair to bounce ideas off of...

Jun 7, 18 4:56 pm
OneLostArchitect

I would avoid the golden handcuffs at your current job. Don’t be a company man! My current bosses tried to do that to me, and I balked. It’s been a awkward situation at work... but honestly I don’t think I would want to partner with anyone but myself. Going on my own is something I have always wanted to do... but it’s something I worry about too. If I am doing nothing and not bringing food to the table for my family how will I survive? So I’m taking an alternative approach. I am creating a passive income stream for myself first before branching on my own. So I can just survive on that passive income and not have to worry about a constant work load. Takes off the edge and creates a safety net. Ever since I received my license I felt I lost inertia in my drive but I am now in the drivers seat again. I was lost for a bit but finally getting back on the road to a new path feels good. 

Had plenty of opportunities to take on work but with the country I’m living in it does not allow me to moonlight on my current job. Just need to be patient and a game plan! 

Jun 7, 18 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Can you expand on the passive income stream?

Jun 7, 18 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I suggest joining entrearchitect Facebook group community. It’s a source of great info. There are a lot of like minded architects going on their own.

Jun 7, 18 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
rerenyc

Thanks for this post!

Jun 7, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
rerenyc

How many years have you been working with the same firm? I left my previous job of 8 years after being fortunate enough to work as project architect of two art schools. After that I thought I'd reached my limit at that practice if I didn't aspire to be partner (it's virtually impossible there). I quit to teach full time and realized I missed the practice, so I teach part time and work part time on my own projects. I do sincerely miss the type of projects I used to work on, as well as having lots of coworkers to collaborate/commiserate with.  

Also if you haven't noticed from my previous posts here I am now realizing how little I know about professional practice having worked for starchitects for 10+ years. While I learned a lot about design and construction administration, I regret not being more inquisitive with the business administration side of the office at my previous job.

Good luck!

Jun 7, 18 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I started a non-related business 8 years ago, then 3 years ago started freelancing again in architecture and doing small basement remodels, interior stuff etc, had two failed partnerships, worked several odd jobs along the way, started my LLC this spring with most all work coming from one source thus far. I have 7.5 years full time experience in firms, about 2 years part-time experience as a freelancer. Health insurance and lack of consistency are the biggest problems. When your income varies so much, you don't have any idea what you really make. My monthly earnings have been as low as $300 and as high as 1/2 my previous yearly salary as a chair warmer in a firm. Do you yo-yo? I have people I can ask questions to. Or band together with others in a similar boat and trade info that way. Whatever you need, you just have to find it. 

Jun 8, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

just chalk it up to experience... experience being what you get when you don't get what you want... 

It can take a lifetime to learn this business...

Good piece of advice I got...  have a years worth of work under contract before you jump ship... of course if that year's worth of work goes on hold or gets delayed... doesn't hurt to have a chunk of capital either...

Jun 8, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Agree, as a rule I always had 6 months of work out in front of you that have varying degree term to them i.e. some just short term renos that took 4 months while I had a large subdivision that was a project I shepherded through for several years ( that was a key project for me to balance out the cash flow for the first year ) Oddly I still get work off that project 20 years later! don't hire your first employee until you see yourself working 80 hours a week for 4 months straight.

Jun 8, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Agree, as a rule I always had 6 months of work out in front of you that have varying degree term to them i.e. some just short term renos that took 4 months while I had a large subdivision that was a project I shepherded through for several years ( that was a key project for me to balance out the cash flow for the first year ) Oddly I still get work off that project 20 years later! don't hire your first employee until you see yourself working 80 hours a week for 4 months straight.

Jun 8, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

You never know when and it will never be a good time. So if you start it when you get your license, at least you won't have to have that awkward conversation with you client about all the administrative things that need to happen before you can start working on his/her project....

Jun 8, 18 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Some good advice, thank you all.  Decided to bring one of the jobs to my firm today, turns out I had missunderstood it's scope by a factor of 10, they are pretty happy with me.....

Jun 8, 18 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So a raise and promotion it is, congrats.

Jun 9, 18 5:11 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Way to go shell! Congrats

Jun 10, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: