Archinect
anchor

Architect working under Structural Firm

Hochomihoto

I am working on my Architecture License (only couple tests to go...). I currently work in a Structural Engineering firm, as a project coordinator. I often work with clients, write contracts, design projects, etc., and generally enjoy the work I do (even though the scope typically is cut back to structural bare-bones). I am concerned what will happen once I receive my license. There is little chance for me to become a partner at the firm, and even so, I would be the only Architect - not meeting the 1/3 ownership requirement (in my state) to be an legal A/E firm. Most firms in town have a full office, making the search for a firm tough. The local jurisdiction (City) currently has a Commercial Plan Checker position open...This brings up two questions for the Forum:

1.  Once I earn my license, would I still be able to work under the Structural Engineer as a designer, just not stamping the drawings (allowing the SE to take the liability)? Is there some legal or insurance issue with that relationship?

2. I am considering applying for the City's Commercial Plan Checkerposition...This would put me in a "golden handcuffs" situation, with great benefits, incredible retirement plan and a (relatively) stable work environment/job security...but I fear could stifle creativity. What are your thoughts on taking a position like that after the many years of education, experience and testing to earn my Architectural license?

Jun 5, 18 2:47 pm
zonker

I was in the same situation as you - the S.E. always stamps the drawings at least at the S.E. firm, where I worked

Jun 5, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hochomihoto

Good to know I'm not the only one...

Jun 5, 18 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
There is no liability on your behalf unless you use the stamp. You may continue at a structural firm as long as you like regardless of your status as a registered architect.

As for the handcuffs and efforts made to be a designer, haven’t you already lost out on that being at the structural firm? Sounds like a lateral move, except maybe for the cushy benefits.
Jun 5, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hochomihoto

Good point...
Thank you for the feedback.

Jun 5, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Do you know others who work for that city, who can tell you about the work culture there?  Some city jobs are probably great, but other cities have HR practices that can make you feel like you're back in high school - things like monitoring the minute you come in and leave everyday, limiting/timing/scheduling your breaks, and having people assigned to monitoring dress code infractions.  I worked for one of those cities - not for very long.  Also ask for a copy of their employee/policy manual before you take this job, so you aren't surprised by things like new employees not being allowed to take any vacation or paid sick time for their first 6 months, vacation being assigned on the basis of seniority throughout all of the unrelated departments in the entire city (so you don't get to choose any time in the summer, or the week of Thanksgiving, or between Christmas and New Years, until you have 10 years or so of tenure), and not being eligible to expense your mileage if there's any possible way you could have carpooled with someone else in the building (seriously, I got denied for a site visit because an animal control officer went to the same street that day).

Jun 5, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Why don't you bring in an architectural client and have in-house engineering? 

When you want something from someone (like your firm) always present  in a way that appeals to firm owners' self interest - i.e. tell him why it would be in his interest to have you become a partner that runs the "architecture" division.

Jun 6, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Hochomihoto

I like that line of thinking...but based on state regulations on ownership for a firm practicing architecture, I would have to start my own firm...or perhaps start a new firm under the corporate umbrella...? hmmm

Jun 7, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: