Archinect
anchor

Moving to Canada, BC

bassemfarra

Hi all, 

I work as an Architect in United Arab Emirates (Dubai), I have a B.Arch and 4 years of work experience in the same country. For many personal reasons, I am planning to move to Canada.

I am willing to start working as a draftsman/technician for a start because I have limited savings and I would need a secure job as soon as possible. So I want to know what can I do as a new migrant with such qualifications to jump-start myself to work as an Architectural draftsman in Canada? (More specifically in British Columbia)

I appreciate all your answers,

Jun 5, 18 10:12 am
Non Sequitur

First, verify that your existing experience qualifies under the CACB.  Chances are that it will not (and your experience is well below the minimum for foreign-trained architect).  If that is the case, you will need to complete an accredited M.Arch degree (3 years) in order to register as an intern-architect and eventually write your Canadian exams.  

Now, you don't need an M.arch to work in canada however, you will be limited to technologist/draftsman roles which are typically for the 2-3y college level staff. This is your best bet to get going here as you'll need to quickly become familiar with the local codes and building regulations.  BC has plenty of large A&E offices.  Good luck. 

Jun 5, 18 10:25 am  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

Depending where his B Arch is from it might qualify him under CACB. Some B Arch’s are a professional degree. Most important thing is to get your permemant residence card. Firms will not sponsor you nor waste their time if your are not a permanent  residence. I know from first hand experience. Second if you have limited funds British Columbia and I assume you are referring to Vancouver region is super expensive! Is there a reason why you consider Vancouver rather than say Southern Ontario? Like NS posted get a lower entry draftsman position and work your way up. Best of luck to you

Jun 5, 18 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think there are any accredited UAE schools under CACB but I have never had to check.

Jun 5, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

He might be able to apply through Commonwealth if UAE is part of that... not totally sure. Best thing to do is contact CACB and tell them your story and see if there is a way... If not worst case scenario is apply for a Masters Degree that will accept you and finish that in two years.

Jun 6, 18 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I would get your Resume and portfolio all updated and printed before you come. That way when you land you can hit the ground running. 

Jun 5, 18 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I would say start emailing firms before you step foot in Canada.

Jun 9, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I personally would avoid looking in Vancouver. If money is tight, you'll be entering a heated real estate/rental market unless you have someone you can stay with. 

Often, (though not always) high salaries go hand in hand with high living costs. Vancouver is an exception as the cost of living has no relationship to the average wage so you might want to try looking in other provinces. Smaller towns in BC offer a good quality of life with much cheaper housing, Victoria for example has a lot going on at the moment and firms are hiring. 

Jun 8, 18 3:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Victoria is nice.

Jun 8, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Matzu

I am in a slightly similar position as well. I am an architect with 9 years of experience, I have a B.Arch degree. I have been involved with a local firm for the past 7 years, and moved up to the position of a partner. 

Our office has been involved with large scale retail and hospitality schemes, which i have led teams on and saw them through completion.

I have a fair bit of knowledge with UK regs since we partnered with a renowned UK firm on 2 of our schemes.

Last October I applied for the Canadian immigration in the hope of a fresh start and better lifestyle. I have 2 of my brothers currently residing in Toronto which will be my destination if my application gets accepted.

I would like to know what chances do I have of landing a decent job. I know I wont be an accredited architect in Canada. Although I am willing to accept a slightly cut in my title / position, I would definitely not want to start over and be offered a role which would not suit my skill set or my experience.

Would appreciate your comments and help.

Jun 8, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Verify your existing education and experience through the CACB prior to making the career change. In canada, you require an accredited CACB degree in order to even start accumulating your exp hours as intern architect. Without this step, you will not be allowed to register for your architect exams (ExAC) once you meet the min experience hours. With that said, you can still work in any office that is willing to hire you however, you will be set back as canadian codes and practice are obviously different.

Jun 8, 18 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

Thanks for a quick response. I will get in touch with the CACB regarding this.

My next question is, are there good roles in canadian architecture firms which are not typically filled by architects? My point is how far can i go if do not get registered as an "Architect".

I do not wish go back and get an M.Arch degree but I am willing to take courses, if they can put me on a track to get accreditation and familiarize me with Canadian codes.

Jun 8, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, although licensing is by province, the requirements are the same for the entire country (with Quebec being the exception... damn French language laws).

Jun 8, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, all requirements are the same across Canada. This is a modern take on the process when we departed from the american system. The only catch is that Quebec has some sort of french language equivalency test. Required experience hours and exams are the same for everyone.

Jun 9, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

Thanks for a quick response. I will get in touch with the CACB regarding this.

My next question is, are there good roles in canadian architecture firms which are not typically filled by architects? My point is how far can i go if do not get registered as an "Architect". 

I do not wish go back and get an M.Arch degree but I am willing to take courses, if they can put me on a track to get accreditation and familiarize me with Canadian codes.

Jun 8, 18 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You can't "go" very far in the traditional sense because you'll never get billed to a client as an architect without a license. If you're exceptional, you can work up to project manager but don't expect that until you get some good local experience first. Just remember that you're competing against a well saturated pool of people (there are 4 to 5 arch schools within close proximity to toronto).

Jun 8, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

As for accreditation, let's say you do not qualify as a foreign-trained architect under the CACB (http://cacb.ca/en/eligibility-befa/), then you have two options: Complete an accredited M.arch or take the RAIC sylabus. Both have their pro and cons but there is no other path that will allow you to write the Canadian exams.

Jun 8, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

I just went over the BEFA requirement. It says you need to have min. 6 months of experience with a canadian firm to become eligible to apply. The fee for the whole process is coming out to be 6700 CAD.

Jun 8, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

I am also currently preparing to sit for the LEED GA exams. You think that would give my resume a boost?

Jun 8, 18 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

LEED is a joke and everybody and their neighbour has some sort of LEED credential... so, no, not really an advantage, but it can't hurt. I think you need LEED project experience first but I don't recall exactly.

And yes, the BEFA is expensive but compared that to a 3y M.arch of 6-8 years in the syllabus program.  

Jun 8, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

True. No you dont require prior experience of LEED projects to sit for the exam atleast not anymore.

Jun 8, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

I believe that the way to go about it is to land a job in Canada and then work your way to accreditation.

Jun 8, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the work you way option is through the RAIC syllabus. You might be able to squeeze a few years due to prior experience (https://raic-syllabus.ca/) but it's geared towards college folks.

Jun 8, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

The RAIC syllabus seems like a proper degree and much more expensive than the BEFA.

Jun 9, 18 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

Thanks for your help. I will write to both of them see if i can get some benefits based on my experience.

Jun 9, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

I will bother you again if i need any further information

Jun 9, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No problem. One more option, although it will not lead to an architect's license & title, is to take the BCIN route. In ontario, anyone can chase a BCIN designer qualification which allows you to offer services on buildings exempt from requiring a licensed architect. You need significant OBC experience, but it's likely a decent temporary route that will allow you to work on your own as a building designer.

Jun 9, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, BCIN holders (with insurance) are what we consider "building designers" in Ontario. (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page8591.aspx)

Jun 9, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick how about making a new thread to discuss Oregon LLCs etc. with anybody who cares about that? It's off-topic from moving to Canada, and it's discouraging and disabling to this forum when every thread turn into a story-of-Rick's-life.

Jun 9, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Your threads that have been deleted were about deliberately controversial and inappropriate topics. If you post a thread about the BCIN process and how it relates to your Oregon LLC then nobody is going to delete that, and anybody who is interested in that topic now or in the future can find it for reference. This thread is not about how LLCs are taxed, or the BCIN process or LLCs in Oregon. It's rude and inappropriate to keep turning so many threads into the all-about-Rick show. Anybody who cares about you can read about you in threads that you start about you.

Jun 9, 18 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, BCIN only applies to projects in Ontario. It has no implication outside of that province. Stick to getting work in your own backyard before dreaming up foreign options.

Jun 9, 18 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks for the laugh Ricky. You have no idea what you're doing.

Jun 9, 18 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

"Point taken", and yet you plow right along on the all-about-you track in a thread about a different topic. You know, you make a big deal out of of how you're a professional too, but you don't behave like one. Please, take your personal Rick-world issues to their own thread(s). Then anybody who wants to converse about that can do so, and you don't hijack everybody else's threads.

Jun 10, 18 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Except for me Ricky. I actually provided legitimate information to two individuals. You derailed the discussion, again, in an attempt to sustain the illusion that you have a diversified building design career.

Jun 10, 18 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Matzu

I second Non. This discussion has completely gone off the rails.

Jun 10, 18 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick I've been on this site for about 20 years, and have tried to provide helpful information when I participate. My intent was to suggest a way in which you'd get advice that was specific to your situation, and without diverting others' discussions. Make your own threads, so that people who want to talk about your issues with you can do so. What's so difficult about it? Or is it just that you prefer the negative attention that comes from interrupting other discussions with your own concerns?

Jun 10, 18 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Balkins how about starting your own blog? Here or anywhere? Then it can be entirely about you?

Jun 10, 18 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I'm not sure about you but if someone were constantly deleting threads I posted about topics I know nothing about, I'd stop posting threads.

Jun 9, 18 7:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: