Archinect
anchor

Usefulness of degrees within the EU

Matthew Johnson

Hi all,

I posted a previous thread asking about the usefulness of an EU degree in the United States.  Now I'm wondering about the applicability of an EU degree in other EU countries.  If I get a Master's in Delft, or ETH, or Stuttgart, will it only help me practice architecture in that country?  Is transferring an architect's licence/registry from one EU country to another like moving from one state to another in the U.S., or more difficult?

Thanks for any insight.  I have a feeling questions similar to mine get posted here a lot, so if there's any existing resouce out there that I'm missing with my Googling I'd love to be directed to it.  

May 29, 18 8:47 am
flatroof

Technically you can practice in any EU country since EU architects get reciprocity in many countries, the problem is it's next to impossible to get a job. As an American with no work visa, you'll be passed over for not only citizens of those countries, but also citizens of other EU countries as well, along with those with work visas gained through other means (marriage, etc.) With a glut of European architects, it's not worth it for a firm to sponsor an American that does not have vast amounts of specialized experience that would be hard to find otherwise.

Yes your student visa will allow you to work a year or two after a masters, but these positions are not as high-paid as permanent ones and there is no guarantee your employer will sponsor you when your visa runs out. So marry well.

May 29, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Matthew Johnson

Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the information I was looking for. It seems like I'll have to think very specifically about my post-graduation career before going to a school in Europe.

May 29, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
leocarva

Hello.

I would like to share my problem in UK. I studied architect in Spain and i have already my certification from ARB Architect here. I aso have acreedited from  NARIC Buliding Engineering and Architectural Technician. 
I'm looking for a job and i had 5 interviews were the said to me at the end that i don,t have UK EXPERIENCE.
Honestly i don't know how to get a job, i have been sending to Architect Part 1, Part2, Part 3, Interior Design, sometimes they said i'm over qualified, in roles under architect.
If you can help me, i will appreciate.
Thank you in advance,
Leonardo.

May 29, 18 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: