Archinect
anchor

European Master's degrees in the US

Matthew Johnson

Hello all,

I am a U.S. Citizen with a non-professional 4-year B.S. ARCH from an American university.  I'm working at a U.S. firm and considering where to go for my Master's. 

I'm drawn to European universities for several personal and academic reasons.  There is a very real chance that if I got a European degree I would stay and work in Europe permanently, but of course I can't know for sure that far in the future. So I'm trying to learn more about what it would take to advance professionally with a Master's from a good European school (ETH, Delft, Bartlett etc.).  I know my path to a license will be more difficult, but I'm having a difficult time learning exactly how much more difficult.  I would love to hear any of your thoughts and perspectives.  

May 27, 18 2:08 pm

It's a challenge to receive International status, especially coming from any specific Nationality; the connectivity of Euro-based like BMW and Mercedes Benz USA are examples by business as much as humanity from Euro-based perspectives to American settlements such as European communities [German Town] or immigrating dominant cities like New York City.  England based towns do exist in some communities which can benefit Euro- Master's degree of any architectural levels.

Good Luck.

May 27, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

What are you smoking?

May 27, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

makes as much sens as his work examples.

May 28, 18 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Matthew Johnson

wut

May 29, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
We may have found RickB-Astoria's Lind lost brother.
May 28, 18 8:09 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

lost*

May 28, 18 10:13 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

If you got a EU degree you still need permission to stay in Europe - this is harder than just getting an MArch. If you go to Delft for example you can stay for 1 year after your studies to work. It takes 2 years of full time work to get your license after graduation. And you need sponsorship from an office to be able to stay.

May 28, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Matthew Johnson

Thanks, this is a great point. I guess that means it's important to be seeking work during studies so that you have a plan set up when you graduate.

Do you know if firms are often reluctant to sponsor a foreigner vs just hiring a native?

May 29, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

You would do best studying at an Academie (https://www.bouwkunst.ahk.nl/en/the-academy/organisation/) instead of a technical university. This means you can stay longer (4 years) and work the entire time you study already - thus integrating more. There are some offices that will sponsor you after graduation, especially if they have already organized the "right to sponsor" - which costs them a couple 1000 euros to set up. Then per person a few thousand more for the paperwork (you can offer to pay this yourself - hint hint)... No one can say for sure how the industry will look in a few years - could be a mess, for now there are not enough bodies to do the work. Large office working internationally might be your best bet: OMA, MVRDV, etc but there are smaller ones who will do it.

May 29, 18 9:03 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

*you should check with the Academy if your visa  would allow you to work here as an American...I'm not 100% sure on this point. I only know the issues of an American in a 2 year technical university (its almost impossible to work on the side as its a really busy 2 years)

May 29, 18 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Matthew Johnson

Thanks a lot for your reply and the link , I didn't know about the distinction between the two kinds of school.

May 29, 18 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

Hmm, its on their website: 20 hrs a week max for non EU citizens - no office will hire for only 20 hrs a week :/ Harsh

So, thats left you back at Delft 2 yrs studying 1 year working and hoping for sponsorship. 

IMPORTANT: Work in practice for Non-EEA Students 
Contrary to guest - and exchange students, Master’s students are obliged to gain practice experience which yields up to 50% of the study credits. In general: Dutch law does not allow students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to work in the Netherlands in a regular employment. The Academy of Architecture is an exception to this rule. A limited number of non-EEA students is permitted to have a regular employment in the Netherlands for a maximum of 20 hours per week under a number of strict conditions. But only if the students are enrolled as four-year Master students, and have the approval of the Academy of Architecture.

May 29, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: