Archinect
anchor

BIG (New York) vs. HKS (Texas)

ninjamom

Hi everyone. I recently got the job offers from BIG in New York and HKS in Texas. It is difficult where to go.

Basically I like big companies because the bigger the company is the more benefits and salary it offers. As HKS is a very big company I think it would be better for me to choose HKS. But some of my colleagues say that BIG is better and one of the reasons was it is located in New York. I could see a lot of people want to work in New York. Actually I do not understand why some people cling to New York because the rent in NY is super high and probably you should spend half of your salary on the rent. Actually I have not been in Texas so I do not know how to compare.  And some people say big corporates' design like HKS is boring and I will be a CAD monkey. Also they say BIG is more focusing on design. As I don't have any experience in these companies I am not sure whether it is true. 

Can anyone give me advice about these issues? 

Is the location of the company that important? Does it affect my license and my career in the future? What is the advantage of working for big corporates and for design focused offices like BIG? Where would you go and why?

I would really appreciate it if you can give me valuable advice. Thanks :-)

May 26, 18 3:17 pm
"""1991"

where are you now?

To be honest with you, Austin is the only city in Texas worth living in. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are really boring (I’ve lived in two of those cities and spent some time in the other). On the other hand New York is New York. It’s expensive, but there are so many more opportunities there (I’ve also lived there).

HKS has some interesting projects here and there, but at the end of the day, they don’t really compare to BIG. You’ll learn a lot in either office.

I applied to BIG, but didn’t get an offer, congratulations.

May 26, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You like big companies, so choose BIG., duhhh.

May 26, 18 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: