Archinect
anchor

Not a registered architect, but ill be consulting developers - do i need to start an LLC or freelance?

batman

I am not a registered architect, but was trained in architecture school and currently work in real estate. A lot of developers approach me if I can consult them in designing their floorplans, unit mix strategies, and etc.

I am starting to think I can do this on the side or perhaps help me lift my career and was wondering if I need to start an LLC or some sort of legal entity? Or should I consider it as free-lance? 

May 21, 18 7:27 pm
OneLostArchitect

are you a realtor?

May 21, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
This is more of a tax question than anything, since you aren’t licensed and can’t/shouldn’t be offering architectural services. Research the benefits of llc vs 1099 on the irs and TurboTax websites etc to determine what suits your needs based on the work you anticipate.

The nice thing about an llc is that it can make you seem a little more ‘legitimate’ when starting out.

For only a few consulting gigs here and there the financial/tax differential is likely to be neglible.
May 22, 18 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Do you know enough about zoning and building codes to properly design these floor plans?

Know that in a lot of U.S. states, your activities may be considered a violation of architectural practice laws.

Whatever you do, get payment up front when you work with developers.

May 22, 18 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: