Archinect
anchor

Liability Insurance/ Structural Engineer / House structure software for newbie arch. LLC in NJ

BayG

Hello everybody,

I would appreciate some help and feedback on the issues listed below, as I see very well versed architects on this forum. Registered architect here, starting a new architectural LLC. I am having two major issues:

1. Getting a liability insurance: Can you guys help with firms that provide reasonable liability insurance? Since in NJ looks like I must have that insurance, I am pressed for time. I did try online application and did not get any offers. Because I am a newbie with high risk? At the moment I am thinking just getting the lowest possible cost for insurance, so I can get the LLC rolling ASAP (as I have contractors asking me to do plans) and after I get some projects in ($$$) maybe re-evaluate the insurance. Any feedback what sole proprietary practitioner's LLC is paying with no sole experience? Can prior partner experience in different firm count, if at the time I was not registered in USA as architect, but registered abroad? Not sure why I was not getting any offers. Checked most fields in application, in terms of work, including structural. Please feel free to send any information regarding this.

2. Finding a structural engineer: I have worked in USA office for 14+ years with mostly 15 plus mil. projects that all had structural consultants, so no structural engineering experience on my part. Now I am moving towards residential and honestly feel that I need to have structural engineer double check my floor/roof members and co-sign my drawings. Most potential projects are no design award contestants, straight forward typical NJ construction. I can do all drafting required. Any leads on structural engineer that will check my drawings and co-sign? I know engineers that co-sign architectural drawings for like $500, and double check structure, but having hard time engaging the ones I have heard of. Also, any ideas on structural engineering software for a beginner that might help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

May 12, 18 1:16 pm
BayG

Also, RE Question 1: What happens if in 1-2 years I decide to go back to being an employee, how long I need to keep the insurance? Read something somewhere about 10 years after last project completed, but cannot find the source now.

May 12, 18 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

When I started my small business out of my house I approached my homeowners insurance agent, State Farm, and was able to get E&o through them. At that time - 9 years ago - State Farm had an arm that did specialty insurance.  Apparently it's a good rule of thumb to expect 1% of your gross receipts to be spent on E&O.

May 12, 18 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
BayG

Thanks!

May 14, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: