Archinect
anchor

How valuable is a Masters Degree in professional practice?

Dwhite1017

Is it worth the time and money to get a masters degree in architecture, especially if you already have a bachelors? I’ve only just finished first year but I know a few 5th year students who are going to grad school and I can’t help but wonder if it’s worth the money? Granted, most of them are going to top programs (Harvard, Yale, UT Austin). Is it really only worth it if it’s at a top school? 

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn’t know if this would be better suited for Academia or Professional Practice...

May 10, 18 10:46 am
Non Sequitur

Is your bachelor an accredited one?  If so, then no, not worth the effort.  If it's not accredited, then yes, plan on spending several 100k for a fancy pants m.arch.  Name of school matters little once you start working.

May 10, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Dwhite1017

Yah it’s an acrredited 5-year program. It’s not a top school by any means. It’s just a state school in the Midwest.

May 10, 18 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Unless you're wicked rich or offered full scholarship, skip the extra degree and get right on the path to licensing... that is if professional practice is your goal.

May 10, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

An M.Arch is only really necessary if you want to teach.  If that is the case, you need to get into the most prestigious school that will let you in.

If your B.Arch is from a school with a modest reputation, an M.Arch from a top school may be a worthwhile upgrade to your resume and provide you with some of the networking opportunities that going to a school with lots of snob appeal can provide.  But only do it if you have no student debt from undergrad.

May 10, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Mikeethestud

Well i think knowledge matters these days as compared to degree especially Masters ...Although it can boost up your resume but if you don't have enough knowledge you can stand in no man's land

May 10, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
starling
Agree with Non Sequitur. Once you have your professional degree, its time to get to work. You can always decide later to go for a 2nd degree if you feel it will really help you on your career path.
May 10, 18 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What's professional practice?

May 11, 18 2:13 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

But...but.....but..... without  an ivy masters you won't be able to get one of those cool 80hr per week unpaid "internships"!!

May 11, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Comment of the month right there. Too bad those bright Ivy lights and 100% chances of making it rain million$ instantly are stronger than reason.

May 11, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Love this. A friend of mine tried to tell me his $180k debt was worth it because he met Eisenman and worked in NYC for 1 year. Ok. Now explain to me how you afford to eat (not to mention pay off any of that debt) making $35k a year while working 80 hours. I think he's still waiting on his millions.

May 11, 18 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is your wallet singing to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

May 11, 18 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: