Archinect
anchor

Second career in Architecture being considered...

Burton83

I've been working in physical therapy for the past 10 years and I don't agree with the direction our health care system has gone so I transitioned my role into marketing for physical therapy while I started looking into other career path's and completing my bachelor's in business this fall to become more diversified. 

After some searching I'm considering a career change from health care/marketing to architecture, but my major concerns are that I'm 35 years old (without Arch. exp. as an undergrad) and with future plans of having a kid in a year or so I don't know how transitioning a career to architecture would even start? I'm seeing my options as:

A. Look at starting in ~1 year by doing a local tech school's architectural design associates program, but this feels backwards personally

B. Look into B. Arch. programs?

C. Look into M Arch. programs?

Any direction is welcome at this point please, I'm in Delaware if that needs to be considered for any suggestions.

Thank you!

May 8, 18 11:42 am
SneakyPete

Do you have a good understanding of the economic realities of Architecture? Do you understand the divide between why people go into Architecture and the sorts of tasks many people working in the profession perform on a daily basis? At 35, make sure you weigh the realities, not the alluring marketing. It can be a rewarding career, but it can also let you down if you go into it with your head in the clouds.

May 8, 18 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Burton83

I did gather the median salary is 75K, however I get that will vary where you work and outside of searching online I haven't interacted with many RA's to see the reality, I've also noticed a low (4%) job growth which does concern me. I plan on meeting with a few RA's in the area that have inspired me as well. I feel like money is important, but like most that change careers, it's more about a passion for what I spend my time doing that would be driving this decision... 

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/archit...

May 8, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's median when licensed and with min 10y experience in a healthy location.

May 8, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ask yourself if you really want to start another career after spending 6+ years of super heavy school work.  If you have a child, will you even be able to break away from 80+ hour school weeks to make an meaningful impact?  

At 40, do you see yourself fighting for entry level jobs with mid 20-year olds?

May 8, 18 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Burton83

Sounds like the trend I've noticed, thanks for the input.

May 8, 18 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It took about 15 years from the moment I decided to go to an Architecture school to the moment I finally said "Now we are cooking with gas!". 

It takes years of hard work and dedication to get to a point where you finally feel somewhat accomplished and a unique contributor in the profession. And there are no shortcuts. Whole industry is constant information overload and certain skills are only developed via mindless repetition. 

May 8, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm feeling like that peek is just around the corner.

May 8, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can have multiple peaks if you are good at self sabotage.

May 8, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Burton83

Wow, thanks for the valuable feed back!

May 8, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

The grass is always greener ...

May 8, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

And it’s not that green on this side either.

May 8, 18 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

http://www.hamiltonproject.org/charts/career_earnings_by_college_major

info is in 2014 dollars, but great for comparing professions

May 8, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Burton83

Thanks for the resource!

May 8, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Are you stupid? If you like architecture as a hobby, I'd consider buying some LEGO kits. Unless, of course you are a trust fund baby.

May 8, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

if you are serious look into 3+ Master Degree... a bachelors is not consider a professional degree

May 8, 18 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Bachelors is a professional degree if it is an accredited B Arch. Bachelors of Arts or Science in Architecture is not accredited. Unless somethings changed. If you finish your other bachelors you can get your Masters in Arch. Make sure it is accredited. Don't do the arch tech associates degree, you can only do drafting with that. As for competing with 20 some year olds, yes, but you will be able to bring so much more other life experience so you will be able to set yourself apart. Maturity. 

NCARB has plenty of info about the path to becoming an architect.

I was at the physical therapist office this morning. That stuff looks like fun. 

May 8, 18 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

If you wanna become a Licensed Architect, here's a 'simplistic' (not simplified) list of what you usually need:

1) BS + MARCH + WORK EXPERIENCE

2) BSARCH (5YR)+ WORK EXPERIENCE

3) BS in Architecture + WORK EXPERIENCE, usually 6+ years (Note:  Many States grandfathered this, so this might pre-exist your desire to become an Archi-dork...btw, this career suxxx, but it's a great HOBBY)  

4) HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION + WORK EXPERIENCE, usually 10+ years (Note:  see parentheses above)

I forgit which states require what, and the requirements often change.  But, here's a place to start figuring out licensing requirements.

That said, there are a lot of paths in Architecture which do not require one to be 'Licensed'.  You've just gotta pinpoint what your goal is & search like a Mutha.  And, BTW, if anyone here has perfected a way to search for a REAL Job in the REAL ARCHITECTURE, not that IT architecture Bullshite, please let us know.

Every time I get an email from a recruiter or search for an ARCHITECTURE Job, I get that 'IT' krap.

And, foithermore, WHY is it that WE, ARCHITECTS, have to get LICENSED to be able to call ourselves ARCHITECTS, when 'it archotects' can call themselves an 'architet' and not get sanctioned?

Anyway, good luck with your new career, I hope this helped! :)

May 8, 18 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan's comment has been hidden
MysteryMan

doofus

May 9, 18 9:00 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

My seal says "ARCHITECT". It does not contain the words "licensed" or "registered". Neither do my wall certificate, annual renewal, or wallet card from the state - they say [Name of State], [Name of State Board], "ARCHITECT", [number], [status - i.e. "Active" or "Emeritus"], [active date], [expiration date], [Signature, name, and title of signing official], [my name and address], and the state seal.  That is the entirety of the information contained on those documents.  None of the words "license", "licensed", "registration", "registered" appear anywhere on any of these documents.

May 9, 18 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I like to tell people I'm a "real" architect

May 11, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Oops, the link for figgurrin' out which states require what didn't show up before, but here it is now: 

https://www.ncarb.org/get-lice...

May 8, 18 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Here's a Map of States which look like they cut out a lot of krap in the Licensing process.  You mentioned that you're in Delaware.  Well, Maryland seems a little 'easier' in the requirements arena than most states.  I actually looked into MD, but for some reason, MD wasnt gonna work out for my stuation.

https://www.ncarb.org/get-lice...

May 8, 18 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Here's a Map like that one, but the 'Online application' filter is turned off....and it yields kooler places like California, New york, and HAWAII!!!!  Yeah!  Who doesn't want to be an Arch't in Hawaii?

May 8, 18 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

JUST DO IT!! even if you start making $75k well in to your 50's its well worth it

May 9, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Burton83

Thanks for the input everyone...

May 11, 18 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: