Archinect
anchor

Self-Employed Architect Questions

Dwhite1017

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about working from home as an architect. I’m only a student so my only exposure to professional life has been large commercial offices and one residential firm.

I hope to work from home one day and do some small/medium sized residential projects. I also would love to live in a small home in the mountains but I’m not sure how that would work with work. Is it possible to live an hour or two away from the city (Seattle, Denver, Portland, etc.) and do most of my client stuff over email?

May 6, 18 2:43 pm
Non Sequitur

Possible? Yes. Easy, not so much.

...a 5min face to face meeting will often solve what would normally take 10 emails. Site visits will also be another thing but 1hr is not that big a deal.

May 6, 18 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I admire your aspirations but there is some reality questions to ask. How much does it cost for you to survive? For example if you are not pulling in work how are you going to pay for food or electricity? Also do you have clients lined up? How many years experience do you have? Are you licensed? Do you have reliable transportation to get to the city? There are so many questions to be asked. 

May 6, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Dwhite1017

So I’m only a student so I don’t have much experience, clients, etc. I just know that working at a large firm is not for me and that at most I’d want to work at a small residential firm.

May 6, 18 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Dwhite1017

Ops I accidentally hit submit before I finished this comment....

May 6, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So, what's still missing?

May 7, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Are you well off where you don’t need to worry about money?

May 6, 18 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

would love to help you but need some answers 

May 7, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

tldr: it's really hard to create client relationships remotely

if you just want to be remote & service city folk, you better be fucking awesome...the lack of face-to-face time or the ability to visit sites or the permitting office is a significant burden

if you want to do vacation homes for the well-to-do, living in the resort town or very close by is more important

i'd love to do the mountain town thing, but my clientele is in town

you've got to figure out what is important to you

there are offices in the major resort locales to go learn at the feet of the folks who do the second home work

May 7, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: