Archinect
anchor

Design/Build in Paradise

Updating an old project with new floors. Last bit is carpet, ordered and paid for month ago. Long-scheduled installation rescheduled for Friday starting at 8:30 am reconfirmed on Thursday. 

Friday morning my labor is site on prepping - removing furnishings, stripping out old carpet, removing and cutting doors, etc. - basically doing everything conceivable to make the carpet install as smooth and easy as possible.

No installer. 10:00 call the carpet outfit. "Oh, they're on their way, they had to finish up yesterday's install."

The carpet installer (one guy) shows up at 12:30 without carpet. "I couldn't bring the carpet because my helper didn't show and it's too heavy". Says he's there 'to prep'. Carpet people know we're doing the prep. Apparently they have subcontracted the installation labor.

It's Friday. The owner is coming Saturday with his family. The house is torn apart.

*$%&@+!

Not only did the carpet outfit NOT call me at 8:30 and tell me there was a problem, they didn't tell me there was a problem when I called them at 10:00. Now I've got a day's labor taking everything apart for an install that never happened and then putting it back together to make the house serviceable.

May 4, 18 4:46 pm
Wilma Buttfit

You love it.

May 4, 18 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If it is the Hamptons there has to be hardwood floors, right? Screw the carpet - bad for people allergies, bad for pets. Wax the floors and cancel the carpet.

May 4, 18 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Just finished 10" vertical grain clear fir floors, carpet is for a couple bedrooms and a big area rug. Existing r/s cedar walls were undercut to allow the fir to slide underneath - no base trim. Turned out perfectly. 

Currently working on a coffee table composed of giant colored carpenter's pencils. Nothing like a client who is a patron of the arts - one of the reasons I'm so pissed at the carpet guys.

Concept sketch:

May 4, 18 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You could make the table from unrolled carpets lashed together. The ultimate recyclable. In a few years when the artiste is tired of the table he can just unroll the carpets. Is that a win-win or what?

May 5, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Have you seen objects made from colored pencils? Like this

Image result for art made from colored pencils

May 5, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: