Archinect
anchor

Specialty Service Requests

BulgarBlogger

As Architects, we are qualified to design entire buildings and per the AIA documents, our basic services include Architectural, Structural, and MEP Design. 

However, in reality, our consultants design the beams and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.

Now- if a client approaches you and you realize that the issues are mostly in the realm of the Structural and MEP, how do you explain your value to the client in a way that doesn't make him/her think he shouldn't contract the Structural or MEP consultant directly? 

May 4, 18 12:55 pm
joseffischer

I have to imagine there are engineering firms that do this often.  The firms we work with directly can't handle project management and cross-discipline coordination, and that's our role as architect.  It's like the junior architect wanting to take on a larger role, but never printing and redlining their own work... so the PM constantly finds errors and considers the junior "not ready".   In the last month if I wasn't involved, our projects would have no light switches or occupancy sensors for an entire wing of classrooms, missing ductwork for some areas where the mechs thought we were cooling using mini-splits, new hand dryers with no conduit, new plumbing fixtures with no rerouting of pipes (though structural did show removing one of the chase walls and rebuilding in new configuration)... the list goes on.  Generally at our firm, structural is very solid, MEP less so.

May 4, 18 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's generally because those consultants don't have a clue about what else goes on in a project, they have tunnel vision and rightfully so. That's why there's such a thing as "clash control" in the first place...

May 4, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

they don't design anything, you do - they follow your instructions. Never had to do a coordination plan for ceiling tiles, ac grills, lighting, smoke alarms, exit signs? With roof drains and beer lines going above the ceiling as well?

May 4, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Good question.  I’ve come across a similar issue in landscape a few times. Clients had some request that could be done without me without really losing anything, and without paying me for my services.  Financially it was in their best interest to take that route.  Typically, in that scenario I just refer them out.  From those referrals, I’ve developed relationships with companies that have resulted in larger projects where my value is clear and necessary, as well as referrals from the would be client that appreciated my help.  Just do what feels right.  

May 4, 18 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: