Archinect
anchor

Young, Emerging Architecture Firms in California (internship)

David2018

Hello,

my google search did not deliver the results I was looking for. 

I am looking for some young architecture firms around california where I could apply for an internship. Do you have any recommendations?

I know its a pretty broad question but since I am not from the US my knowledge of the architecture scene overseas is limited.

Maybe some of you guys know areas or firms that are young and creative.

May 2, 18 1:23 pm
randomised

The name Gehry's been buzzing around lately, sounds like it could be the next hot thing.

May 2, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Really?

May 3, 18 3:38 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah well, it was worth a try. In that case maybe another young, up and coming firm to look into for an internship might be Eric Owen Moss Architects, they use computers too, therefore very on trend I guess.

May 3, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 
cb_ll

You might try looking at California AIA chapter emerging practice awards. Or also check out the list of architecture faculty (visiting or otherwise) at the various schools in Cali (like SCI-arc, UCLA, USC, etc) as the principals of many emerging practices often are also teaching in some capacity.

But good luck man, these types of firms usually a) don't have enough work to sustain having a stream of interns and b) usually hire people that are within their network that they are familiar with (i.e. often their students) 

May 2, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

If I were interning, I'd want to work for an established firm who has some experience, so I could learn from people who know a lot. 

May 2, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Erik, are you implying that "Rich_9999 Architorture" Architects is somehow less technically proficient than SOM?

May 2, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Ha!

May 2, 18 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Depends on what you mean by established. From what I’ve seen firms whose principles are the first generation, know a lot and sacrificed a lot to get there. Firms with 2nd generation principles generally have experienced a brain drain, expansion is over and profits are kept with original stakeholders.

May 2, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Very true, the people with the drive and ambition to go out and start a firm usually know their shit, that's why they start their own firm in the first place. They might not yet get that big commission but you'll be involved in all aspects of a project since they have yet to establish a hierarchy and there's just such a lot of energy and drive to get things done and make a mark. I love working with start ups.

May 3, 18 2:21 am  · 
 · 

Internship, I am an licensed Architect in California are you interested in working for free?

May 2, 18 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: