Archinect
anchor

Graduated 8 months ago - found job as a designer at a major signage/wayfinding company

sgmardini

I naturally lean towards anything creative, and I live in a country where architecture jobs are literally not available (a lot of companies are firing architects here), and the company is very interesting - it seems like it makes sense to make the move. However, if I take the job for a while, would it set me back as an architect? I don't think I'm quite ready to let go of the profession yet. 

Opinions please!

Apr 29, 18 2:23 pm
randomised

Shouldn't you be working in the profession to be able to let go of it?

Apr 29, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It won't set you back in the sense that anybody is likely to think negatively of you for working on signage for a while. And it's likely to look better on your resume than if you just don't work for some extended amount of time while holding out for an architecture job. So if you need to stay in this location for now and it's what's available and it seems interesting to you then it might make sense. It will perhaps set you behind the schedules of your architecture classmates, in terms of progression within architecture.  If you leave the signage company in some months or years, and get a job in an architecture firm, you'll be entry-level then regardless of how much signage experience you get.  Depending on the license requirements in your country you may be setting yourself behind schedule also by not working in a firm that qualifies as architectural experience - but I don't know where you are so don't know if that applies. If you're fine with the schedule ramifications then no problem.  If you're impatient to move forward within architecture firms then it seems like you may need to move to another location at some point.

Apr 29, 18 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Another example of why architecture is a stupid profession. "Oh, you have how much experience in design, construction, and/or working at a company using revit to make families of their products for architectural use? That's great, but yeah, 0 years of experience for you, welcome to our firm newbie"

Apr 30, 18 7:54 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

I was told during uni by a lecturer that the first job you get when you graduate will tend to define your career.

I've found that to be generally correct from the people I've known, and myself.

I'd be trying to get into ANY arch firm if I were you. 

Apr 29, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sounds about right, wish I heard that during uni myself.

Apr 30, 18 1:38 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

probably because so many people who don't get an arch job as their first can't deal with the extreme paycut for going back to architecture and having to start as an intern.

Apr 30, 18 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I'd take it and keep your eyes open till something better comes along. Wayfinding although important is a far cry from standard architecture.

Apr 30, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
molten

Are you based in Italy? I'm just making a wild guess based on your username. Regardless, are you open to working in another country? If architects are generally underemployed or unemployed where you live, I would explore other options. I would agree that your first job can define your career path, but there is a difference between doing something for a year versus five. No job you take has to be permanent. 

Good luck!

Apr 30, 18 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: