Archinect
anchor

Struggle considering Architecture career path

seasonschange

I got accepted into UBC SALA MArch program, but I am really conflicted on whether or not to follow through with this career choice. I am detail-oriented, social, artistically-inclined, meticulous, strive towards diversity and change, and don't like accepting the status quo -- are these characteristics that will suit Architecture? Random, but I love travelling. I also do care a lot about financial security/success... Is this an unsuitable career for me? Please give me all the advice!

Apr 25, 18 10:27 am
joseffischer

Many artistically inclined people pursuing architecture get burned out before they ever get to be creative.  Being detail oriented and meticulous is very important, and most people aren't nearly as skilled in these areas as they think.  I'm not sure why you think working at architecture firms would provide for a more diverse environment or trend towards work supporting diversity and change.  Most of the money comes from very very 'status quo' piggy banks.  Clients don't like change.  Good luck!

Apr 25, 18 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You self-describe the same way as basically 99% of other fresh students in this field.  Ask yourself, do you really love designing buildings? Not the broad stroke "genius" type design ideas, but more of the nuts & bolts, membrane sequencing, material thickness type aspects?  If you answer no to the second parts, perhaps you should reconsider.

Apr 25, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What made you consider architecture in the first place, and what made you reconsider architecture since or because? you got accepted?

Apr 25, 18 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
seasonschange

Many reasons. One of them being seeing the downfalls of homes I've lived in, or visited, and wanting to fix those aspects. I've always had curiosity towards the design of homes. It seems to be a profession where I can be influential in other people's lives in a different sort of way.

Apr 26, 18 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

You haven't made a career choice, you're only considering an education choice. If you're having doubts now you're way ahead of the curve.

Run, Forrest, run!

Apr 25, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Yes, run like wind.

Seriously, money and security are the two things you are least likely to find in this profession. If they matter to you already, trust me they will matter even more the older you get. Any career eventually becomes stale after thirty years or so, and you will want to retire or change professions again. Hard to do when your retirement savings are puny because of low earning power and the periodic deep downturns which plague this very cyclical profession.

Apr 25, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Don't say you weren't warned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Apr 26, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: