Archinect
anchor

Renderings before a Design requests?

CandS

Recently, I've been getting more requests for "renderings" for the purposes of securing financing, development in general.  This request on it's own isn't surprising or puzzling - what is puzzling is that people generally want this before they ask for an actual design or any kind of preliminary planning (thanks HGTV).

Has anyone been seeing more and more of this?  How are you addressing this - are you doing it?  If you are, how are you billing it?  The slippery slope seems to me to be that you hack a "model" together sophisticated enough to pump out some 3D image, then if the project moves ahead, you have to revise quite a bit to actually design something functional but the client looks at the images and says "by golly, you're nearly done, this next part of the work shouldn't be very expensive then!"

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I already dislike the idea of designing to a rendering...

Apr 23, 18 5:12 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I get this quite a bit when doing a Preliminary Architectural Report.  Generally, we're required to generate a schematic floor plan, but occasionally we're asked for elevations or renderings.  Some agencies providing funding require these reports for any funding application.  

The trick is not letting someone slop something together in a rendering that can't actually be done.  You don't want an owner thinking they can get one thing, and end up with something else because of project limitations. 

Just add some verbiage to your contract that states the rendering is prepared as part of a schematic design, is an artist's rendition/interpretation of the proposed project.  Then throw in some verbiage about things being subject to change.  You'll be fine. 

With regard to the client thinking you're almost done and things should be cheap, just explain things.  Communication about scope of work is always helpful. 

Apr 23, 18 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
CandS

Agreed. I'm a small operation (it's just me...), and even though I'm Revit proficient and can render just fine, I still design with pens and trace paper. I think I tend to let the frustration of the "Render-first" attitude get to me too much.

Thanks for the pointers.  I'll keep it in mind for contract-time.  I've had some requests (and one pending currently) to just get a render done with less interest in signing a full contract for services though and this probably where I should just remind myself that reasonable clients will be reasonable and unreasonable ones should not be messed with.

Apr 23, 18 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I don't see how a legit developer could get anything done with only a rendering.  Floor plans and site plans are a must to show to investors and potential tenants.

Refer Mr. or Ms. "I only want a rendering" to Fiverr.

Apr 24, 18 9:15 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Fuck the gig economy. Fuck side hustles. It devalues labor to the advantage of the powerful.

Apr 24, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: