Archinect
anchor

Do companies typically ignore applications?

"""1991"

I’m curious about what the determining factor for reviewing an application is. 

I applied for a summer internship last summer and never received a reply from them, until this morning. I’m graduating this year and really have no use for temporary work. I’m choosing to ignore the email, but it got me thinking. 

I realize this is probably an anomaly, but maybe someone has some insight.

On a side note I’ve had two interviews in the past three weeks and one offer. 

Apr 17, 18 11:33 am
randomised

Well, you don't apply for a summer internship in summer but before summer, just common sense. You also don't apply for university the week your course would start...

Apr 17, 18 11:52 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

It was a typo...I couldn’t edit. I applied in January

Apr 17, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Also, make sure you don't have any typos in your applications ;)

Apr 18, 18 4:23 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Random resumes and emails are easy to ignore, become a "person" in the eyes of the hiring manager, via even the most tangential connection, and you will be far more likely to receive consideration.

"The Hidden Job Market" changed my life for the better

Apr 17, 18 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Yes to the Hidden Job Market by Asher is the best book to read before investing any more time into your job search. But to get to the question it is likely that if you are not a 99% match on everything they are possibly looking for they won't bother getting in-touch. 

Apr 17, 18 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

" I’m choosing to ignore the email,"

and

"Do companies typically ignore applications"

It sounds to me like everyone involved is related. Don't do business with family. Especially if you know you are kinda shitty yourself. 

Apr 17, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

rus, no need for name calling. 

The irony of my statement isn’t lost on me. 

I was interested in working there over a year ago. It’s childish to ignore them now, but a temporary hourly position isn’t appealing. Job security is important.

Apr 17, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Contact them and see if they have permanent positions. Offer for an internship is a great introduction. You just skipped to front of resume pile. Or you can just ignore them because they have no idea where you are in your career right now.

Apr 17, 18 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

I would politely decline, don't burn bridges.

Apr 17, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Seems really odd for a person looking for work to ignore a lead.  I'd respond, update them with my new resume and impending graduation, and ask if there was a permanent position available.

Maybe I'm being too ... logical?

Apr 17, 18 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

It was a small not really well known firm in my hometown. My interviews/offer have been from out of state, where I would like to live

Apr 17, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

So 1991, what was even the point of you making this post? To get validation from complete strangers on how you are graduating soon and you are already interviewing? Don't be that level of airhead grad.

Apr 17, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

No, the question was the determining factor for reviewing an application. Something other people may benefit from. Vanity wasn’t my intention, but I see how my choice of words can be interpreted as such

Apr 17, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

ur fine. To answer your question I'll give you an anecdote. I get bombarded by inquiries from vendors on daily basis. I avoid said vendors like a plague until I really really need them. Sometimes when I don't need them they drown me in kindness, so I'd be a jerk to ignore. This is how most things in life work.

Apr 17, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

We are a small firm and get about twenty inquiries a week. Although we try to respond to each one, it gets to be a lot. I don't feel any obligation to respond to the ones that don't get the company name correct, or are written to "DEAR HIRNG MANAGER" (this is at least half of them...). 

I don't think there's any way to ensure that your application gets a response, but making it out to an actual individual, having good work to show, and demonstrating that you are actually interested and know something about the firm will go a long way...

Apr 17, 18 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Yes! Showing you are interested and knowledgeable about the firm's work is imperative. I work for a niche firm and I would venture to guess that about 85% of the applications we get don't have any indication that the applicant is interested in the type of work we do. They pretty much get tossed right away.

Apr 17, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I'll bite. What indicates interest in the type of work you do? I personally try and edit my resume to lean towards experience in the areas the firm works in, but based on most websites, arch firms like to claim they do a bit of everything. Maybe this is a niche firm thing? Obviously if I was walking into a firm that only did single fam, or lower ed, I'd try and show something I had in that area (which I have a lot of). I don't even try to respond to healthcare work (no experience) even though that seems to be the brunt of what the recruiting trolls at linked in are looking for right now.

Apr 17, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It could be showing an interest in the project type, or even just referencing a project that they've completed or some aspect of the work that resonates with you.

Apr 17, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Cover letter and email body are the 2 places where there should be some indication of why you and the firm are a good fit. Naming a project or types of projects are a fairly no-brainer. If someone has not taken 15 min to browse the work on a website, they probably are not going to do that on the job - big red flag.

Apr 18, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

@joseffischer - yes, as 3tk mentioned, saying something about experience in or even interest in the cover letter, resume or portfolio would be ideal. I work in preservation so it's pointless to see an applicant with a portfolio full of super digital/heavily rendered contemporary work. That's cool and everything, but those skills aren't of a ton of use here. We're more interested in hand sketches since a lot of our work includes going on site and drawing what's existing and translating that into CDs when we get back to the office. We also look for evidence that the person is interested in preservation - with previous work experience, internships, or if the person is right out of school, maybe the have a certificate or just took a course or two and became interested. So much of what we get, though, is just fancy renderings of some school project, almost no hand work or CD-level details, and someone obsessed with becoming the next starchitect.

Apr 18, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I guess I'm standing up for the young graduates, but maybe you're all right and they need to revamp their portfolios after school to reality and really think about what type of work they want to do.

Apr 19, 18 10:03 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Even if they didn't update their portfolio (as they probably have limited selection/experience on what to show) but indicate some interest in the cover letter or resume. This is the bigger key for us for younger applicants who don't really have much experience.

Apr 19, 18 10:15 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I'd definitely respond, if only out of courtesy.  Plus, it doesn't hurt to expand the ol' network a bit...

Apr 17, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Not every firm responds to every applicant - I personally think someone can copy & paste email, but it's not that easy.

As Janosh has written above, highly qualified candidates who have made a point of indicating clearly that they looked into the firm and have shown interest in the work will get the most responses.

Personally I find that the lower you are on the food chain, the more responsive you should be.  Architects answer every inquiry of the client, interns of their supervisors, applicants to the firms.

Apr 18, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

research firms so you will know if you fit in with what you have to offer, address an actual person, follow up (email/call), ask if the position has been filled, be proactive but polite, let them know you are open to other positions and future employment if not chosen...

Apr 18, 18 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Yes, we ignore applications. 

The ones I don't ignore meet all of the following:  they're applications for positions we've advertised; they're received while the position is still advertised; they're addressed correctly to the right firm and to the person or email address we indicated; they contain all information requested; they don't contain enormous files or other time-consuming elements not requested.

Some that I do ignore:  they're addressed to the wrong firm; they contain attempts at flattery that have nothing to do with the firm's actual work ("I have always admired the profound impact of your urban planning work", when we don't do planning); they contain large files that take too long to download; we're not currently advertising any positions; they contain plagiarism; it's difficult to read their resume because it has fleur de lis all over it; their mother calls the firm as a "character reference".

Apr 20, 18 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

we get applications more or less constantly, unsolicited.

I try to answer, sometimes they get lost for no good reason at all. Internship applications are a bit overwhelming the last few months and we cant spare time to answer everyone. Feel bad about it, but it is becoming harder and harder to answer everyone lately. it isn't personal, just about a lack of time.

In general we dont answer any applications that are generic and obviously bcc'ed. Bin them immediately. If our office name or one of the partners are not called out in the text we bin those as well. Easy cull.

Speaking only for myself I don't really need any lengthy flattering words and I find it weird when a project is highlighted in the text. The comments are often rather different from our intention and highlight things that we are not actually interested in. When that happens I feel annoyed more than enticed to read on. I guess I am happier to decide for myself what I think you can do in our office and if there is a possibility of a good fit. Generic self descriptions like team player and so on don't hit the mark either.

Instead of a long letter we prefer a direct and short and clear email. No frills. What job you are looking for, what time frame, and in our case what languages you speak is helpful.

What we look at mostly is the portfolio, for evidence of an open mind especially. At times we are on the look out for some particular skills, which is admittedly random.

In general it is useful to show that you know how to communicate and can tell a unique story about architecture from your own point of view. This turns out to be a pretty good indicator of how well you might fit in.

When we are looking for deeper skills then snippets from a drawing set are useful, along with a CV. Experience shows pretty quickly that way and we can get into the details in an interview.

Apr 21, 18 6:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: