Archinect
anchor

UK vs US M.Arch?

njl_725

I'm a US citizen currently taking a few years off of architecture and getting a vaguely architecturally related history master's with the intention of returning to school to get my M.Arch and my licence. Since my B.Arch wasn't accredited (thanks NCARB) I need a master's but I'm not excited about the prospect of 3 years of debt so I've been looking at 2 year programs. 

Some of the UK programs have been catching my eye, though, with a lower price tag and 2 year structure across the board. I've done the research into getting an international M.Arch recognized for US licensure, but does anyone have personal insight into this process? And any thoughts about how the job hunt would go in the US with a UK M.Arch?

Thanks!!

Apr 12, 18 11:58 am
thatsthat

Not sure how helpful my response is but here goes:

Getting a UK Masters might complicate the licensure issue since it's a foreign masters.  You'd have to make sure the licensing board in the state you're looking to work in would accept it as a professional degree.  Another option is to look for a state where a professional degree is not required and get your license there.  That's what I did.  NYS was very helpful in this regard.  It takes longer than if you had an MArch but you'd be making money and learning instead of spending a ton and learning theoretical stuff you'll probably never use.

Apr 12, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: