Archinect
anchor

Refuse Chute: Wall FireRating

chosunone

Good Morning.

Is anyone having this issue.

The building code 2014 requires Refuse Chute shaft to be 2 hr fire rated.

The Rules of New York RCNY 24-01 requies Refuse Chute shaft to be 3 hr fire rated.

Some plan Examiners at the DOB approves the 2hr rated and others said no, look at the RCNY 24-01.

Stuff like this are like aggregates in my shoes that I can't wait to get rid of.

Is anyone having the same issue here.

Thank you,  

Apr 11, 18 10:53 am
Non Sequitur

when in doubt, pick the most stringent of codes.

Apr 11, 18 11:14 am  · 
 · 
whistler

You can actually buy these kind of wall assemblies pre built in some cases as they are hard to site assemble and are quite common in commercial projects ( i.e. gas fired appliances and grease flues from commercial kitchens etc )

Apr 11, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Where the city's rules are more stringent than the adopted model code, the city's rules always prevail.  You should not be designing to less than the rating required by the city, because even if you get it past the plan examiner, you still have liability for that - both in the event that some future inspector discovers it and requires it to be remediated, and in the event that an actual fire causes damage and/or injury.

Apr 11, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Don't get me started on the department of transportation fighting with the planning and zoning departments. Being stuck in the middle of bureaucrats sucks, especially when the client is looking to you to control the timeline to the start of construction. I have seen many architects and developers bled dry when they get hung up with inter city arguments. For them its all about finding a way to pass the buck not getting things done.  

Apr 11, 18 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
chosunone

decided to go with most stringent.  Thanks for your thoughts.  The DOB really needs to clear out..nobody bothers to look into rcny besides filling the tr forms.

Apr 11, 18 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: