Archinect
anchor

Licensed architect practicing out of state

dsarchs

I've been licensed for a little over a year, practicing in WA state, and was recently asked by a friend (interior designer) if I could modify the floor plan of a shed/guest house.  The changes they want are laughably simply but they're not comfortable with the drafting work themselves.  I guess it would take less than 2 hours to do the whole project.

Then they mentioned that it would be built in CA.  There would be no architect of record for this project -- just a contractor permitting and building it.  It's not the type of work I would normally pursue but it's easy money that fell into my lap...

I'm wondering, though, is there a licensing issue due to it being out of state and it's not worth the money?  If I was unlicensed it would be no problem (no architect required due to size).  Is my license a detriment in this case or am I over-thinking things?

Apr 10, 18 1:31 pm
Flatfish

Your status as a licensed architect in WA is entirely irrelevant to your work on a project in CA that is exempt from requiring an architect.  Just do not use the word "architect" or any variation of it, or anything else implying that you're a licensed architect ("AIA", "NCARB", your WA license number or seal, etc.) in any way on any document or correspondence related to the project in CA.

Do insist on a contract prior to beginning any work in CA. Regardless of your license status, all professional design services for construction projects in CA, no matter how small, require written contracts.

Apr 10, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
dsarchs

Thanks.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  Do you have a link to the contract requirement?  I've been looking and haven't found anything yet.

Apr 10, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
proto

the CAB website: "Licensees" tab, then "Architects Practice Act", then search for "contract"...the requisite legal text will be found, or click this: http://www.cab.ca.gov/act/bpc/division_3/chapter_3/article_3/section_5536.22.shtml

Apr 10, 18 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Do a contract before working on a project period.
Apr 10, 18 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Rick, 

I dare you advertise yourself as a "Licensed Building Designer" in California.

Apr 10, 18 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The OP is talking about a "shed/guest house". Not a three-story-plus-basement house requiring a license. 2 hours of work on a shed. He specifically stated it doesn't require a license, due to its size. He doesn't need reciprocity, nor does he need 600 words of non-relevant cut-and-paste regulations.

Apr 11, 18 10:25 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Rick - if you're not a licensed architect, why are you giving advice?

Apr 11, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's how Rick rolls...

Apr 11, 18 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I wonder how much royalty money Rick Astley makes off these rick roll links.

Apr 11, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

According to the California Architect's practice act, you are engaging in the practice of architecture if you offer/do any of the following:

Architects’ professional services may include any or all of the following:

1. Investigation, evaluation, consultation, and advice.
    2. Planning, schematic and preliminary studies, designs, working drawings, and specifications.
    3. Coordination of the work of technical and special consultants.
    4. Compliance with generally applicable codes and regulations, and assistance in the governmental review process.
    5. Technical assistance in the preparation of bid documents and agreements between clients and contractors.
    6. Contract administration.
    7. Construction observation.

ADVICE - stop giving advice! You are NOT an Architect!

Apr 11, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

How can a list that vague be enforced?

Apr 11, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Self policing.

Apr 11, 18 10:35 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Oh and one question for Rick: how do you make money when you are on Archinect all day? Must be a slow day every day in Oregon... 

Apr 11, 18 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I only post when I'm swamped with work... which has been always for the last few months. woot.

Apr 11, 18 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rendering? Balkins unless you mean rendering animal fat for homemade soap, I will never believe there is any rendering
happening by you.

Apr 11, 18 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ lol

Apr 11, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Rick - what are fees like in Oregon? If someone wanted to do a rooftop addition or a house extension - say 1500 SF - and some interior work, what's a reasonable range to assume for an average home?

Apr 11, 18 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

25 cents according to his post about sandwich signs.

Apr 11, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Late to the game here, but if you're signing a contract in another state where you aren't licensed, what does that contract look like? Would I just do a find and replace for 'Architect' and 'Designer' in my document?

I am finding small, sometimes unpermitted even, projects in the neighboring states around me that wouldn't require an architect. So legally I can do the drawings as a non professional in that state, but I'm not sure how to write the contract between myself and the owner.

To add to or modify the question; if the project is a blank slate contractor hand off and I am not involved with the site at all, I could just sell a house plan correct? If I am not involved in the neighboring state per se (I may visit the site to get an idea of what it looks like) can I write my typical contract and reference just the plan set and have it be valid in my state?

Jun 7, 19 10:37 am  · 
 · 
proto

call the state board & ask

Jun 7, 19 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: