Archinect
anchor

Jobs after BA in Architecture

aporialiao

I know that with B.A.Arch being unlicensed here in the US, the obvious choice is to do a M.Arch. But what if I want to get a year or two of work experience in before hand? And also what if I decide to not pursue MBA perhaps which requires work experience. 

Does doing an unlicensed BAArch mean I will have no job opportunities, or perhaps just none that are stable and good enough to be accepted into a good Masters study? 

Doing M Arch to work and then (maybe) MBA would just be way too much money spent. Even if I just pursue M Arch, it would be ideal to work a little to save some money before hand. What would you recommend? 

Thank you! 

- Student beginning BAArch this fall. 

Apr 7, 18 12:10 pm
Non Sequitur
Depends on location. Some countries just hand out architect licenses if you don’t drop out.

Seriously thou, look at whatever organisation regulates the architect licensing and work backwards from there. You’ve not even had one day in school yet you’re planning for 10years. Maybe you’ll hate it anyways.
Apr 7, 18 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

You can get a job with a BA in arch.  I worked for several years before going back to get my M.Arch.  It helped me focus on what I wanted to get out of a grad program, where I wanted to go, and what I wanted to do with my thesis.  I think it's worthwhile to work for a bit before going back - even just to see if architecture is right for you or if you really think grad school is worth it.

Also - try to get some summer internships even while you're in undergrad.  these will be important for landing work upon graduation.

Apr 7, 18 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
starling

Agree with not a robot.

A BA is a professional degree. You qualify for an entry level position almost anywhere with that. It also means you can pursue licensure with that degree. an MArch is not at all necessary in your case.

I would recommend that after you graduate with your BA degree to work for a couple years to get some very valuable real world experience. You will also get to know yourself better during that time and what you are interested in, and then you decide if you want to pursue an MArch or MBA, or maybe you will decide you don't need to go back to school at all. 

At our firm, we seldom look at what kind of degree you hold (so long as you have at least one). A candidates prospects are more dependent on the portfolio and in person interview. If someone is a good fit, it doesn't matter what school you went to or what kind of (or how many) degrees you hold.

May 11, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: