Archinect
anchor

Is RIBA qualification recognised in Canada?

abdukayumovjama

Hi everyone,

I am an international student (from Uzbekistan) currently doing my last year of Part 2 in Oxford School of Architecture. I have a Part 1 qualification from the University of Kent. I am graduating this year, thus starting to look for jobs. I would need a working visa.

I am looking into Canada, as job opportunities in UK seem pretty gloomy and I feel like it's time to change the environment. I was wondering if anyone can help me with information regarding working in Canada (not as a qualified architect, as I haven't done my Part 3), but as a recent graduate.

My main question is whether Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) is recognised in Canada, or if I have to take some examination upon being able to work there? Would my education be recognised by Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)?

My second question is, what kind of position should I be applying? Here in UK I would be applying for Part1/Part 2 Architectural Assistant jobs. Is there an equivalent to that in Canada?

Would really appreciate if someone could help. Thanks.

Apr 6, 18 1:14 pm
Non Sequitur

RIBA is not recognized as part of the Canadian licensure process, obviously... but that's not really important.  What is important is if your undergraduate degree conforms to CACB guidelines... which it does. (Part 1 & Part 2).   Each province has it's own architecture association, but they all follow the same process (except for Quebec due to french language law).  Just note that if you plan to eventually practice and live in Canada, you'll need an accredited M.Arch before logging hours.

As for employment, you'll be entering into junior design or technologist positions, sometimes erroneously labeled "graduate architect".

Apr 6, 18 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
De-sara@hotmail.com

""Would my education be recognised by Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)?"""

You can register as an Intern as long as you have RIBA exemption Part1 and 2, depends which province you are going to live in. CACB does recognize RIBA.

Oct 17, 18 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: