Archinect
anchor

Architecture License in New York

anjalisinghal

How can a foreign architect, based out of Middle East with over 10 years of practice as the principal of their own firm get an architect's license in New York? Does he still need to give the ARE? Or 3 LOR's as specified here will do? If so, what is the process?

"You have 10 Years of Lawful Practice:

3 letters of reference - one each from 3 architects substantiating lawful practice outside of New York for the required minimum of 10 years as a Principal of your own firm

• Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination - For certification from the initial licensing authority

If eligible, a practical examination is required."

Apr 6, 18 11:01 am
thatsthat

I've worked with NYS licensing board to get my license. It's easier just to email them directly to ask them for direction than to post on a forum.  They generally respond pretty quickly.

Apr 6, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
anjalisinghal

Dear thatsthat

Thanks for replying and I actually got in touch with them before posting it here and they told me nothing about the 'licensure with approach' part. That's why I specifically asked about it here, on this forum.

Apr 9, 18 6:14 am  · 
 · 
Anob

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/a...

Call and ask if you need more clarification. Actually nice people there that can help.

Apr 6, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
anjalisinghal

Dear Anob, thanks for responding, I have been in touch with them already. Was looking for more clarification on the 'licensure to approach' part.

Apr 9, 18 6:16 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You will still need to pass the ARE.  Yes I know that NYS still has on their books a method by which an experienced architect licensed elsewhere can bypass the exam requirement - but in practice that's not used anymore. 

20+ years ago they did let the occasional international starchitect get licensed in NY without an exam (usually because said starchitect had already been awarded some major commission and there was great political pressure to do so).  These days even starchitects aren't granted waivers.

Apr 6, 18 11:35 am  · 
 · 
anjalisinghal

Dear Bloopox, thanks for the reply. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for to set my goals and aims realistic. Appreciate the time you took out to respond! :)

Apr 9, 18 6:19 am  · 
 · 

Bloopox is correct. I know of a certain international starchitect that the NYS board is making life pretty difficult for. They are essentially forcing him to take the exams even though he has run an international practice for decades... including a NYC office that does "design only." It has been a problem within their office. Also for his employees as NYS does not see their experience working for him as "working under a licensed architect." 

Apr 9, 18 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
anjalisinghal

Thanks for taking out the time to reply @jamespetty. It does seem like taking the ARE is the only viable option to register practice.

Apr 10, 18 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

In addition to completing the ARE, if you weren't educated in the US
then you have to have your foreign degree evaluated directly by New York
for equivalency.  It's possible you will need to complete some
additional coursework.  You also have to have an NCARB record.  You also
have to submit evidence of enough years of supervised experience after
obtaining your foreign degree to satisfy New York's requirements (which
are a little different than NCARB's).

Apr 10, 18 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: