Archinect
anchor

IAAC Reviews (how did you pay for it, how happy were you with your experience, network after graduation, quality of work, etc.)

bklynbagelbabe

Hi!

I've been accepted to the IAAC MAA02 program which starts this fall. I'm very excited but also anxious for a variety of reasons. IAAC is asking that I make a decision and a sizable deposit before I hear back from the other schools to which I applied. Therefore, before I blow my chances (or send all of my savings to a school I can't even visit) I was hoping to get some thoughts from people here who may have gone to the school for the Masters in Advanced Architecture program.

1) How did you go about paying for tuition and living expenses while studying? Is there such a thing as student loans in Spain? Is it reasonable to ask a school to help you figure out financing (something that is fairly common in U.S.A.)?

2) How happy were you with your experience? Sometimes I feel like IAAC would be a great program to compliment another post graduate degree which is more individual and perhaps more focused on design. I have a non-accredited undergraduate arch degree - please feel free to tell me how wrong I am about this idea.

3) Were you able to find your dream job after graduation? Were you happy with the networking opportunities at IAAC?

Thank you so much to anyone who cares to share your experiences!

Feb 27, 18 6:43 pm
hellion

Have you checked the forum's history for IAAC-related threads? 

https://archinect.com/searchal...

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

... and so much more just on the first link alone. 

I had a classmate who went there for the same program 8 years ago and is now running her own practice (http://www.nbt.pe/) in Lima, Peru. Basically, if you're in to more advanced architectural design, digital fabrication, prototyping, then IAAC is the school for you. IAAC also has a program that allows you to pitch or sell your project or design to actual clients/investors so it's pretty modelled for eventual start-up opportunities. It's almost as expensive as most architecture schools in the US; but if you're going back to the US after the program, you might encounter some accreditation problems (as mentioned per the past threads) so best to check with your regulatory board there before deciding. Good luck! 

Feb 28, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
bklynbagelbabe

Thank you James! I have checked the forum but a lot of those posts are out of date, or not answered by people who have been to the school recently. I was hoping to get some "fresh" opinions and feedback :)

Feb 28, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

Here's another option I forgot to mention: https://archinect.com/schools/cover/18773412/iaac-the-institute-for-advanced-architecture-of-catalonia IAAC has a profile here in Archinect and has a list of all the members who went/are currently studying there.

Feb 28, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
qefos

Hi, I'm planning to apply to IAAC this year, and would love to know your review if you did join!

Same questions: How was the experience? Teaching? Was it all in groups? And most importantly, job opportunities after?

Feb 3, 19 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Hi!

I've been accepted to iaac for the coming year, I'm coming from the US and wondering what the folks here before me might've found in the way of financial / loan resources? Will likely need to take out a small one or two to cover basic expenses. Any insight here or and the topics of finding apartments would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Apr 12, 20 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
marcifiji

not worth it they don't even offer real degrees ... read up on google reviews for what past students have to say .... it's a shit show 

Jun 23, 23 9:37 am  · 
 · 
saadkhn12

Hello everyone, hope you're all well. 

After graduating with a bachelors degree in Architecture I did field work for 2 years. I was constantly requested to apply for masters by my parents and a few relatives after graduation, which I refused. Then, a councilor, friend of mom's, sat me down and explained in simple words why masters was needed. As architecture was not much of a respected field in my home country, a masters degree would help me go to a country where the practice is serious, otherwise my Bachelors degree would as my Andrew Tate wannabe close friends put it "useless". 

Little did I know that after I left my field work/completing my final project, researching about the targeted universities and applying to them, would be considered "recon work". I applied to mostly universities in USA as they're known for their prestige and global networking etc. I applied to the following universities' Masters in Architecture program with results:

1) Boston Architectural College: Admission Accepted.

2) Thomas Jefferson University: Admission Accepted with a Dean's Scholarship. I turned it down because the tuition fee was too expensive given the fact it was a private institution. 

3) University of Utah: no feedback at the moment.

4) North Carolina State University: No feedback at the moment. 

This was my first attempt in applications, got lucky I guess with the Statement letter and Portfolio.

However, after applications, I remembered being advised by a good friend who studied medicine, suggesting to apply for universities in Europe. He and some other friends stated to study in a place where there is majority historical buildings present and what we could learn from them. Also I knew someone, a good mentor and a senior of my Bachelor degree years, graduating from a particular institution that caught my eye. I looked into IAAC Barcelona and Polytechnic Milan. Just out of shear frustration, I only applied to IAAC Barcelona due to the fact I left the softwares I was supposed to learn untouched ( Grasshopper 3D, UE5 , Revit with its continuous installation issue, and before starting python, scratch ). 

After my ok or shitty performance in the interview with an IAAC coordinator, I was sure I had no chance. So the exact opposite happened and I got accepted into the Masters in Advance Architecture with thesis program. The deadline was approaching and at that time I have still did not decide whether to go to B.A.C with their IPAL and AXP program to apply for license exam or IAAC Barcelona for their intensive courses and skillset internationally demanded. I consulted from few people, especially an aunt whose an Architectural Professor in I guess Washington. I heard pros and cons yet I was not satisfied, so I prayed for consultation from the Almighty himself. IAAC's deadline was approaching and I enrolled into the program.

I would like to hear from international students who graduated from B.A.C and IAAC their personal experiences, to see whether I made the right decision or I re apply. I for some reason, have a bad feeling in my mind and gut. Thankyou for your patience in reading my lengthy paragraph.

Feb 15, 24 6:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: