Archinect
anchor

Returning after a long hiatus

sdo2018

I have been away from architectural practice and "work outside the home" in general for 21+ years and am now trying to determine the best way to prepare to work in an architecture office, preferably one located in Northern Virginia. Having graduated from the UCLA School of Architecture in 1992, and having approximately 3 years of work experience before stopping to raise kids full time, I realize that I will be at a very junior level and am fine with that. I am assuming that I will need a working knowledge of Autocad, Revit, and maybe Sketchup to be considered for intern level jobs, but if anyone has other suggestions, insights, or experience with this circumstance, I would very much appreciate hearing them. Thanks! 

Feb 22, 18 1:02 pm
Archinect

Similar discussion thread:

Rusty after 9 years away from architecture

Feb 22, 18 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Give yourself a bit more credit than intern - 21+ years raising kids does bring a mature understanding of schools, community spaces, residential and other building types that were part of your day to day.  If you have experience from being on school / community boards - is also good. 

You should try to get up to speed on some software.  For practices suggest you seek out local who might have done good projects around your community so you can build upon shared knowledge that you have gained during your career. 

You might try to gain a LEED AP certification which helps all cvs.

Architecture is like riding a bike - you never for get it.  And architecture/design has not really changed during 1996-2018. Same old Same old.

Feb 22, 18 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
sdo2018
Thank you TED. I appreciate your considerate and thoughtful comments!
Feb 26, 18 8:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: