Archinect
anchor

Do I need a license to design my own home?

dariayoder

If I don't have a license, but graduate with a bachelor's in architecture, can I design my own home? Would I need someone to finalize my plans, or is this not possible?

Feb 1, 18 1:58 pm
proto

in the US or canada, yes, most likely

property owners can design & work on their own property

check with your local jurisdiction

Feb 1, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

In canada, as long as you're the owner of the property, you may be able to submit your own plans to the city as long as you are the sole author of the drawings and there is nothing too complicated.

Feb 1, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes you can, it's called owner-builder, you act as your own GC. most jurisdictions require an open book examination of the residential code.

Feb 1, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Your building dept. should have a checklist of the stuff they will be looking for. 

Feb 1, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Feb 1, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Most jurisdictions outside of a major metros don't require a license for a single family home. Check the building department requirements for your locale.

However, be prepared for a steep learning curve if you haven't gone through the process before. Your project will still need to comply with residential code. It can be incredibly rewarding to navigate that process, especially for your own project.
Feb 1, 18 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Call your local building and zoning department.  They have the actual answer to this question.

Feb 2, 18 9:39 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Most places don't require an architect's stamp for a single family detached house.  However, be aware that you will have to submit a competent enough set of drawings for permit, not to mention bidding.  It's still a legal document when you sign with contractor or sub-contractors, and any vagueness is liable to be construed against you in a dispute.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  As Dirty Harry said, "a good man always knows his limitations."

Feb 2, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

If you choose do to so, get ready to get stiffed and boned by your contractor.

The information asymmetries between the two parties and them having differing interests (push you to the brink of bankruptcy because you're a one-off vs. build your home) is a recipe for disaster.

Feb 2, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
cooperklein

If you do that, you'll definitely do a bad thing. I thought of designing my own home, but I realized that I'm still a noob, so I contacted Superdraft , and it all went marvelously.

May 27, 18 4:13 am  · 
 · 

No, you cannot design your own home!

How dare you even suggest that idea!

Hire a respectable member of the A.I.A.

Please do not ever ask that question again!

May 27, 18 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Perhaps, it was a vehicle drivers license?

May 27, 18 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: